Another newbie, with wild orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grady

Reaction score
I am new to Slippertalk, haven't even looked around yet. Over the next few days and weeks I'll read lots and maybe even contribute.

I'm a retired 64-year old man who had little interest in plants (except my forest trees) until about 2007. Since then I've "come alive" to the possibilities of growing, and caring for, flowers, shrubs and trees. My wife and I own 20 acres of land, mostly covered with mature Douglas fir and Ponderosa pine. Canopy closure often exceeds 60%. The forest was last logged in the early 40's; we have many Ponderosa's exceeding 30" diameter. But it's what's growing wild in our forest that has my total attention.

First noticed in about 1999 by my wife, and ignored for years because we didn't know what we had, now there are 13 clumps totaling just over 100 plants of cypripedium montanum, Mountain Lady's Slipper. All of them bloomed and produced seed pods last summer. For the first time, I took photos last summer. One of my photos is now my LS account photo, and a larger version is attached.

What I'm missing is knowledge of what the plant looks like in the years before it flowers. From what I've read, it takes up to 12 years for them to flower. We probably have immature plants here that I don't recognize as such. If anyone can point me to online photos of immature plants I would sure appreciate it.

That's all for now, and thanks for reading!
Grady

Attachments

• Mountain Lady's Slippers, May 17, 2012, e (500 x 376).jpg
    Mountain Lady's Slippers, May 17, 2012, e (500 x 376).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 50
greetings from upstate ny, where there are lots of natives. basically, if you look at your mature plants with a flower spike, imagine the plant without the flower spike and there is your immature plant. this is pretty much how north american (and maybe all) cypripediums work. some of the ground ladyslippers that the leaves hug the ground, sometimes they will just have one leaf, and then have more when they get more mature and ready to flower

last year on the forum, here, someone posted pics of plants in flower, and then the bottom photo has plants with seed pods. that looks as close to a plant without flowers as you'll find

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26389

Last edited:
Hello Grady,

What a blessing to have native orchids on your property, and in large numbers. Cyps from the section Cypripedium all look pretty similar when young - like tiny versions of the adult plant. As Charles said, they can be just a single leaf or two in size when very young and hard to distinguish from surrounding vegetation.

Here is a pic of some C. kentuckiense I've grown (around 2 years old):

CypripediumKentuckienseSD.jpg

Welcome from Nebraska!

Sooo jealous! Cyp. montanum is one of my favorite cypripediums, as Tom said "What a blessing"! I'd be very lucky to find native orchids in my state.

Hi from Luxembourg !!!!

I'll join you age-wise in some weeks! And have to walk quite some kilometers to come close to the few local species growing here!!

Jean

Hi There,
Welcome from South Africa. I have never tried to grow any cyps, my conditions are not right for them unfortunately. Perhaps when I extend my greenhouse next year I will include a space for cyps.
You are going to learn a lot from the people on this forum.
Gary

similar leaves?

Thanks for the photo of the young slippers, Tom. That is very helpful. We have a plant with similar leaves to a slipper (photo below). Could these plants be young slippers, or is it platanthera orbiculata?
Thanks,
Grady

Attachments

• Unknown plant (400 x 301).jpg
    Unknown plant (400 x 301).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 15
though i've only seen p. orbiculata in western ny, the leaves were usually quite rounded and larger though these might be just starting out. one thing with orbiculata and macrophylla, if they are going to flower, you will see the flower spike emerging at the same time as the leaves are unfurling. this does look like a platanthera or closely related orchid, though you have lots different species out there than here :) . orchids often have that waxy, wet greenish look to them that after a while you see and say 'that's an orchid'... though there are a few early spring non-orchid wildflowers here that have that same waxy look

Hello & Welcome, Grady from Oz.

"To come alive" to this intoxicating family of plants is be consumed by their manifold charms.

But beware: here be dragons!

In-line photos question

I'm preparing to post more of my C. montanums, but I can't figure out how to get the photos into the body of the message. When I click the "Insert image" icon, I'm asked for a url. Only when I click the "Attachments" icon can I specify a photo on my computer, but that doesn't create an in-line photo. For in-line photos must I host the photos elsewhere, like imageshack? Help, please.

looks great must be a fantastic place to live,
I have 2 montanum and have to do everything to keep them alive, so I would like to visit you one day.

Hi Dido. In some ways I feel somewhat foolish. Many montanum are growing wild on our property, and have been doing fine on their own for many years. I don't water them, or prune or fertilize, or anything else. I admire greatly the people who DO these things for their orchids, sometimes with wonderful results. I'm like a person who is born beautiful and is complimented on his/her beauty; the person can't take credit for anything. Still, the montanum are a constant delight, despite (or maybe, because of) my lack of care. I'll post more photos soon of the plants.

I see you're in Germany. My son-in-law's wife is from Dusseldorf. Yes, if you come to the USA and wish to visit us in Washington state, you'll be welcome. The plants were in bloom in mid-May of last year, but we've been having freezing nights for many days and things have slowed down here.
Grady

Back