anitum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that are quite a few you have there.
From what I understand, this species is very rare in the USA (perhaps, it is still not legal. I am not sure why it is illegal though) , and it is the dream plant for many US paph collectors.

Wow, that are quite a few you have there.
From what I understand, this species is very rare in the USA (perhaps, it is still not legal. I am not sure why it is illegal though) , and it is the dream plant for many US paph collectors.

Anitum (as a species) was named after CITES placed all Paphs under Appendix 1 in the late 80's (I can't recall the actuall cut off date).

Sometimes its been called or labeled as a variety or form of adductum making it easier to get under the CITES radar in older collections as propagated plants. Coming from the Philipinnes there is probably not much documentation of flask produced seedlings legally entering the US.

These all look like first time blooming seedlings from the foliage I can see in the pic.

From what I gathered - anitum is originating from a remote area of Mindanao.

Last edited by a moderator:
this will make an amazing shot ...

On Tanaka's website, it is reported that plants in the wild can be very big, about the size of a very big roth or phil, or a "small" kolopakingii. I don't know if such plants still exist...

anitums do not, under any circumstances, produce 6 flowers.

In the wild they do. After a year, the plants start to become extremely small and slowly die. You can see the process on that picture, the leaves start to become yellow white. After blooming, nothing will be left of most of them.

this will make an amazing shot ...

On Tanaka's website, it is reported that plants in the wild can be very big, about the size of a very big roth or phil, or a "small" kolopakingii. I don't know if such plants still exist...

All of the wild anitum are very big plants but they are not cultivated properly. They grow on heavy metal soils.

Back