anitum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the wild they do. After a year, the plants start to become extremely small and slowly die. You can see the process on that picture, the leaves start to become yellow white. After blooming, nothing will be left of most of them.

All of the wild anitum are very big plants but they are not cultivated properly. They grow on heavy metal soils.

Sounds like magnesium deficiency. (Or potassium overdose).

I looked up a plant description in Birk. Lists adductum as having 2-3 flowers, but "var anitum" as having 3-7 flowers. In some ways this reminds me of Paph philipinnense and var. roebellinii.

Exactly
Golamco when visiting the site found dried flowerscapes with 6 flowers

Sounds like magnesium deficiency. (Or potassium overdose).

I looked up a plant description in Birk. Lists adductum as having 2-3 flowers, but "var anitum" as having 3-7 flowers. In some ways this reminds me of Paph philipinnense and var. roebellinii.

If these are illegal, how can you make them legal??? Or when those flower and are bred now, can they be made legal??? How many more generations before you can make plants legal before they can be imported???? For Conservation sake don't we have an obligation to make "in vitro" seedlings legal and the species can be proliferated???

ok. i have a friend from northern mindinao that told me never more than 4 flowers.
thats interesting about the magnesium

howard- basically the USFWS says that because all paphs are appendix I, (restricting all trade), and because this "species" was technically not described until the late 90's, about ten years after the uplisting, it is illegal and thus any plants you make from it are also illegal. It will always remain illegal, unless, they are confiscated somewhere, end up in a plant rescue center/botanical garden and are distributed through them, or unless they become "overwhelmingly common " as ive been told...... or something like that. it sucks.

and yes, obviously making more in tissue culture so as to lessen the burden on wild collected plants as well as the general preservation of a rare species would be the smart thing to do.....

and yes, obviously making more in tissue culture so as to lessen the burden on wild collected plants as well as the general preservation of a rare species would be the smart thing to do.....

But, the USFW is not (smart enough). Pity for hobbyists and pity for the plants living in the wild as they are still being hunted down.

However if enterprizing individuals holding breedable plants (legal or not) were to breed the snot out of them and sell them as adductum "extra dark" then eventually they could be so common that there would be no way to police them. But then If they weren't illegal then no one would want them anyway and the enterprizing breeder would be stuck with all that over production getting busted for holding 2000 illegal plants.

However (however) I would bet that most people that did pick up these "extra dark" offspring would probably loose their tags so in 5 years we'd all be fighting over whether or not such and such plant was a "true" adductum or a "true" anitum.

they are already being inter-bred here today. but if they are same species there is no difference, right? Either way, I don't ever see them ever flooding the market... from what i understand adductum is difficult to germinate. i know firsthand they are also hard to establish from flask. adductum is also extremely slow to maturity, all reasons why they are so infrequently seen for sale by commercial nurseries.

they are already being inter-bred here today. but if they are same species there is no difference, right? Either way, I don't ever see them ever flooding the market... from what i understand adductum is difficult to germinate. i know firsthand they are also hard to establish from flask. adductum is also extremely slow to maturity, all reasons why they are so infrequently seen for sale by commercial nurseries.

Tom at Fox Valley had a nice supply awhile ago of straight adductum

Tom at Fox Valley had a nice supply awhile ago of straight adductum

I got two of these, and in the basket system they have already grown noticably in a couple of months time.

A two or three years ago Sam was selling some seedling adductums that were "extra dark". I bought 2 but eventually lost them. (I bet to K overdose).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a decent handful of var anitums around that are parked as adductum

OK Yang Ji, are you going to breed fom them (cross sib)???? We will buy the flasks from you. I don't think that you will ever flood the market in a few years. Maybe after 8-10 years. Just like sanderianum. At least you help preserve the wild population. To market in USA or Europe, you may have to call adductum "extra dark".
How long does it take to maturity (FS) from flask???

The dorsal is reminiscent of gigantifolium. The staminode is structured differently, and obviously the plants come from pretty different parts of the world.

I wonder if the pollinating species is the same, or is there a universal visual clue to a wide range of related pollinators after which the mechanics of the flower sort out the specific pollinator.

Back