Angraecum sesquipedale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Back in Jan of 2011 I split a plug tray of these with a lovely lady. Not sure what happened to her, but she was wonderful.

It was a fun purchase-
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18429

Back in mid Oct of 2014, I had the neighbor over here picking up a plant.
I remember telling him, they'll never bloom. Too (f-bomb) cold in my house.
Maybe I have been getting lucky.

Double the Pleasure

I have three left. The runt of runts is still in my possession. I think the spike is gonna blast.
Out of about 33 plants, 3 were about 6months ahead of the others. Not so bad.
Out of about 33 plants 2 were runts. And they always sucked.
So 28 plants looked like exact copies. I got a great deal...

All sphag., watered every other day inside, everyday outside. 6" clay pot.
I never knew these clumped.

:)

Great full segments in these flowers! Congrats to such a lucky purchase!

wow awesome! i would take one off your hands!

i heard in a recent talk not to divide the keiki's...it can kill the plant.

Beautiful plants. How long are the nectaries?

When I look at the flower, though, and the keikis already, I wonder if it is a pure sesquipedale.

Very healthy looking plants you have there...good growing. AdamD, I have noticed with mine that the flowers have that greenish/yellow tint when they first open and then turn more white as they mature.

Good job, very nice! I have one of them left and traded others and the one survived moving to Virginia and back and then moving to south jersey.... Need to clean it up and see some flowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow awesome! i would take one off your hands!

i heard in a recent talk not to divide the keiki's...it can kill the plant.
This is doable, in May of 2016. I'm gonna bloom them again before I chose.

Thanks for the heads up Justin.

Beautiful plants. How long are the nectaries?

When I look at the flower, though, and the keikis already, I wonder if it is a pure sesquipedale.
Dot, 10 inches. The metric ruler is MIA.

hmmmm. It is first bloom, but these are top 2 of 33.
The link I gave shows the vendor on this deal. I'm not in a position to doubt him.
The mother plant did not have keikis.
There are at least 5 STers with at least 12 siblings out there. Time will tell.

Awesome. What gives it the green/yellow tint? Immature flower?

Migrant13 gave great answer. He failed to mention that I lack any patience.
Plus I bet the Broncos when we were in Vegas last September, and had a bad feeling about that game.
So I shot some flowers instead of watching the game.
My wife took the Seahawks. She's still in it...

If these whiten up nice w/o blemishes, I'll update photo. :)

Is the sphagnum moss packed in loss or tight? I didn't realize that they liked to stay wet all of the time. When you say you are watering them are you drenching them. I have two Angraecums but I have them in bark and water about every 5 days in summer and stretched out to every 10 days in winter. Last year one of them produced a bud but it blasted. I need to know all of the secrets of growing these. I think mine are angraecum lemforde white beauty. I may also have a angraecum didieri that makes buds and they blast.

I may also have a angraecum didieri that makes buds and they blast.
At least it is still alive. I watered mine to death. It was is large bark.

From plug tray these went to 4" clay pot. At the time I had sphag that came from New Zealand and rated AAA or AAAA(I forgot). It was longer, and not little pieces.
I packed it just enough to keep the plants upright. When they got moved to 6" clay pot, I added more(did not remove old sphag). Again just enough tightness to keep plant upright.

When these are outside, from lets say 2nd week of May to 3rd week of Oct., I use 2gallon pressure sprayer.
I don't care what time of day or where the water goes- I hammer them just like Phrag. longifolium.
Yes, they dry out quick(I live near the water, always breeze).

Inside the house, no way I am using sprayer around the curtains(dry clean only). So I am dunking them in something that looks like kitchen garbage can, just like Phrag longifolium.
(another reason for the photos at time, the nectary is submerged 3-4" and I don't know if it will discolor)
Yes, the sphag floats out. I scoop it up and throw back in the pot.

When I bought didieri, vendor warned my about too much water.
When I bought plug tray of sesquipedale I thought I read not to let this one dry out.
Just now I see one place in Madagascar gets 3.5 meters of rain per year. But rainfall amount varies around the island.

At my place, sesquipedale did not do well in bark with a little CHC.
Bob, in a nutshell, no problems being wet most of the time.

Latest posts

Back