Amazing Breakthrough in Orchid Breeding: The Phragmoglossum!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were quite convincing! Still the flower you show is quite freakish. It's doing some peloricism?
Peter T.

Yes, it is a peloric flower. It was the only one on that stem, so something must have happened when the flower got formed.

Robert

No, it is a straight Phrag. longifolium var. hinksianum ('Fernbrook' x self).

Robert

Enjoyed reading this thread. It's quite convincing as a cross between a Phrag & a Porro. I even wondered if it had been photoshopped, but concluded it was really what the flower looked like. Thanx for the laugh!

:) I was thinking to myself "man, some things should just be left alone" then realized the date. :p

-Ernie

Just as well this was a joke. That flower was hideous. Dreadful to think so much money might have been wasted doing somatic fusion to produce that monstrosity. Though that is a lovely Phrag. longifolium var. hinksianum.

tt4n

You got me on that one........LOL. Too bad that you don't actually have such an article in the April magazine. It reminds of one years ago in April where the author described an incredible cattleya found in South America that was 10 feet tall, and in fact showed a picture of a man standing on a ladder with a tape measure getting the dimensions of the flower. It looked like a gigantic C. loddigesii. The story explained that the plant was lost in a plane crash.

Of course, many took it seriously and wondered where they could get such a plant......:rollhappy:

Robert, your jargon was very convincing -- except that I've had some weird blooms not unlike that one. Great joke, however!

This one was a joke, but the concept of a protoplast fusion/somatic hybrid is possible, but paph/phrag or paph/cyp might be a more realistic goal.

I agree. A "Pomato" actually does exist, and they got that through somatic fusion of tomato and potato protoplasts. The trick is however to get the somatic hybrid to grow and make a viable plant. As Potatoes and Tomatoes are closely related, they were able to grow out the hybrid into a viable plant. If the species are too far apart you won't be able to do that (due to incompatibility of genes etc) so you will never be able to fuse a Cattleya with a Paphiopedilum, and grow out the somatic hybrid. But if they are closely related like a Paphiopedilum and a Cypripedium I think it is theoretically possible.

Robert

Well I particularly admire his ability and technology, but I think that cross different genres, it would lose control of everything that is known about orchids

Eric Young

About fifteen to twenty years ago, Eric Young had a standing offer of $50K for anyone who develops this fusion.

Too bad you did not suceed then but still this is an immensely important development.I would almost certainly inform them at the EY Center about this great leap foward ( I do not mean this in a Leninist sense either).

Send me a roth. with blue striation on an orange background with a seven inch DS.

Latest posts

Back