Amazing Breakthrough in Orchid Breeding: The Phragmoglossum!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

11 years ago, when I was working at the University of Minnesota, I was working on somatic fusion of protoplasts of Tomato and Potato's (we called the plants "Pomato's").

When I started working here at Orchids Limited I came up with the idea of doing the same with orchids. I decided to choose two species of orchids that were totally unrelated: Phrag. longifolium and Porroglossum loja, a pleurothalid related to Masdevalia's. I was able to develop a method of protoplast isolation from diploid lines, and fuse the protoplasts using PEG induced fusion. Next I used in vitro culture to regenerate the hybrid plants. Molecular, cytogenetic and fenotype traits were analyzed of the hybrid plants and verified them to be tetraploid somatic hybrids. In next month's AOS magazine I will be writing an article about this breakthrough technology in orchid breeding. After 5 years, coming out of the lab the first plant finally bloomed. Most of the characteristics of the flowers are from the longifolium plant. It did however get some characteristics from its pleurothalid parent. We named the new genus: Phragmoglossum. As I have shown that this works, imagine the possibilities: Cattleya's crossed with Paph's, Phrag's crossed with Phalaenopsis etc etc..You guys here at Slipper Talk will be the first to see the amazing results:

The two parent species that I used:

Phrag. longifolium:
PhraglongifoliumvhinksianumJasonsCh.jpg

Porroglossum loja:
Porroglossumloja-close2-642003.jpg

The first flowers of the somatic hybrid to bloom:
SomaticHybrid1412009.jpg

SomaticHybrid1422009.jpg

Robert

Amazing! I will look forward to your article in Orchids.

This will open a true Pandora's box of entertainment for future hybridizers, judges, show schedules and the RHS registrar.

Do you have any other such efforts pending?

Yes amazing...
Yes interesting....
but ....
It's gonna take me some time to get use to this!

Interesting. You should name her Audrey II just like in The Little Shop of Horrors.

Is there any chance that the hybrid is in any way fertile?

By the way, I'm putting in my order for a kovachii crossed with a dandelion. We should end up with a beautiful plant that grows like a weed! :D

On this particular day, I applaud your dedication, time and effort to get the results just right.

Congratulations!!! This is so cutting edge. The flower is very easy on the
eyes. I am almost afraid to ask, is your peer group calling you
Dr. Frankenstein? Please, please keep me in mind when you can
distribute these. Again, congratulations. Clark

Yep, Eric you got me!

:rollhappy::rollhappy: HAPPY APRIL FOOLS!! :rollhappy::rollhappy:

Robert

You were quite convincing! Still the flower you show is quite freakish. It's doing some peloricism?
Peter T.

Latest posts

Back