Alternate heat source

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsie

Reaction score
I've probably figured this out already, but sometimes input can help clear it up better.

I am putting in back-up heating with ventless gas units on the walls through the house. Power outages through winter are deeming this a necessity. I grow my orchids in one room on carts. I'm thinking I'm going to have a problem with fumes and plants.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with orchids and ventless gas heaters? Appreciate very much any suggestions and experiences.

I had to heat an unvented structure with propane catalytic heaters for a few days and I saw no particularly ill effects. Nothing that couldn't be attributed to cold more than anything else.

If it's a new heater, or you have had it cleaned and serviced regularly, it's likely no problem for short-term backup, but I highly recommend against unvented heaters for regular use.

I had a "three season" room to which I added an unvented heater, as I wanted plants there year-round.

I had no issues that first year, but at the end of the second year, I realized things were going downhill, and EVERY surface - floors, walls, ceiling - were covered in barely perceptible soot.

Thanks so very much for all's info. Yes, would be used as a back up. I can understand - and not put out - by bud/flower blast. Just don't want loss of plants.

On the flip side. Have lost warm growers and bulk of Phrags one winter due to heating problems and a room that was probably down in the 40's F. for several days till I picked up on it. While I am going with more temperature tolerant plants, just don't want another repeat of 40's F. (And this episode made it clear, during a bad outage, it gets cold in there!)

Appreciate greatly everyone's thoughts and experiences!

Latest posts

Back