Advice needed on antivirus protection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hera

This is the third time I've had to reformat my computer because of f****** Trojans. Please chime in on suggestions for really good protection for Internet surfing. These crazy bugs come in through the most innocuous looking sites. I've had it!!!!

Seriously.... I have had luck with AVG free and Panda. Keep up to date on all your updates for windows.

Auto updates. The thing comes in as XP Antivirus 2012 and immediately scans the computer for supposed viruses then asks you to purchase the product to remove them. It has already infected by the time you see the first screen. It totally blocks mcafee from running and malware bytes as well. Got past spysweeper too. Then it changes and calls itself windows security center and shows up on the bottom tool bar. Can't get on the Internet can't run ,scans can't remove it. The only thing that has worked was reformatting and of course I lost a ton of saved stuff. Nothing that didn't have backups but what a pain!

Auto updates. The thing comes in as XP Antivirus 2012 and immediately scans the computer for supposed viruses then asks you to purchase the product to remove them. It has already infected by the time you see the first screen. It totally blocks mcafee from running and malware bytes as well. Got past spysweeper too. Then it changes and calls itself windows security center and shows up on the bottom tool bar. Can't get on the Internet can't run ,scans can't remove it. The only thing that has worked was reformatting and of course I lost a ton of saved stuff. Nothing that didn't have backups but what a pain!

Yeah, my friend has had fun with this identical problem in recent days. He consulted me for help. First I had to close all the open error windows on his Dell laptop, then reboot into recovery options mode (F8 on startup), then choose an earlier restore point -- all this just to get control and stop the process in its tracks. Then I ran Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool to stop the attack from happening again, but it left behind all sorts of bits and pieces which then began pinging the router with DOS spoof and smurf attacks around the clock. There were also significant fundamental changes to the computer throughout (changes to file permissions, registry modifications etc) and missing files galore no matter what earlier auto restore point was chosen and used. The only recourse in the end was to reformat, wipe everything clean and revert to the factory-fresh programming the laptop came with out of the box. :mad:

Windows Security Essentials failed to protect the Dell laptop from infection, but Norton Internet Security managed to protect his Acer laptop from the same trojan on the same day. For that reason I would suggest that perhaps Norton will work better to defend against this monstrosity than does McAfee. As an aside, I've used Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition for nearly five years now and haven't had any problems with this bug to date.

Good luck with it and sorry to hear you've had such horrible problems with this particular malware. I understand your pain as does my friend. :)

You can try Safe Mode and try to restore(if you have a restore point).

If it where me I would clean the hard drive twice then install your OS again. I have mine on auto update but I always check several times a week for updates. Do you shut down or restart your computer after installs?

I don't like Macfee or spy sweeper myself. Norton 360 is pretty good they are faster to release updates than most, but if you run spy sweeper or other protection software, they may conflict with each other. At work we use Panda to protect 200+ machines and servers. No program will completely protect you.

I suggest Avast too!!! I use it along time now and I have no problems. Also I have windows updates disabled (I think they cause "frustration" to the pc...) and also enable deletion of cookies etc each time your internet browser closes.

Additionally, get a good defragmentation program and registry cleaner. Make some disk checks periodically. And there shouldn't be any problem for some years.... :D :D

I hope it helps.

any thoughts on avg or malwarebytes?
(i don't think the free version of malwarebytes provides real-time protection though)

any thoughts on avg or malwarebytes?
(i don't think the free version of malwarebytes provides real-time protection though)

According to an earlier post here from Hera, this particular trojan prevented malwarebytes from working, and AVG failed to protect Uncle Mel's pc from this very same trojan only a day or two ago. I just heard about it a few minutes ago.

To remove the spyware. You need to change the file name of the malwarebytes executable. Say from mbyte to "fjhvhjguvjh" some viruses blocks certain spyware removal program using their default file name from running. Some viruses or malware blocks the site where you download real antivirus or anti spyware too. So you may need to download it on another computer and transfer it to the infected machine.

Once installed, you may need to rename the executable again under program files. Once you have run it and cleaned it. Install avast. I know lots of work that's why I create image every now and then to avoid this. What a pain.

Malwarebyte's site recommended creating a new user name and running the malwarebyte scan under the new user name. That worked, but it didn't totally clean out the virus. I ran under the new name and again under my original sign in and it still didn't get all of it. That's how I got to the point of reformatting.

buy a Mac

My next one will be, but I wasn't prepared to have to buy a new system during Christmas. My neighbor works in Internet security and he loves apple products for Internet use. He had suggested the malwarebytes to back up my mcafee about a year ago and it was working until now.

I used to use Avast, but switched to Vipre a few years ago, as it had less of a performance impact. I have had NO issues whatsoever.

I'm using NOD32 for quite some years and since I started using it I have not been affected by virus'es or other nasty internetcritters.

I'm not a big fan of the big names like Norton or McAfee. Their software is too big and bulky and has a negative impact on your pc's performance.

Latest posts

Back