Advice needed on antivirus protection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're saying that a computer with old system (or old forum/picture site software) can get hacked more easily and junk snuck in...
our orchid club website had occasionally gotten odd code installed to cause problems, when the old software wasn't updated with new that had more loopholes plugged. A good site can get hacked, so sometimes it is random where a bug can come from

I'm willing to pay for good protection, but here's what frosts me. Mcafee was about $60 and I pay for yearly updates. For all that there is no guarantee that it will work and on their website they offer virus removal support for a mere $129. What exactly did I pay for?

I've never heard anything good about McAfee. That's why I went for Norton years ago and never had any problem. It may be bloatware, as many programs going with Windows are but it works very well if you have a computer with enough memory. There's more bloatware out there like Microsoft Word. It used to be simple and agile program years ago but every new version becomes more of a hassle to figure out.

I use both Mcafee and Norton on my different computers, and I've been equally happy with both.

Others have posted good info on programs/protection against viruses. However, you also need to have a first line of defense: run Firefox with the "NoScript" add-on installed. Once installed, only allow trusted sites to run content in your browser.

Thanks for this! I hadn't heard of "NoScript" prior to now. I installed it today. Awesome! :clap:

I decided to try Avast on my laptop. We'll see how that goes for awhile before I install on the desktop. Thanks for all the responses.

Latest posts

Back