A Weirdo Parvi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
Here is my Norito Hasegawa (armeniacum x malipoense), which has been growing VERY slowly in the 2 years that I've had it. Take a look at the photo below, and you will see a spike coming up from a small growth at the right side of the previously-bloomed one. This little growth is 5 inches/13 cm in LS, and the sheath looks unusually small. The old growth is 9 inches/22 cm in LS. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Anybody seen this before? This plant is stoloniferous as well.

That's interesting! Were the flowers normal sized?

The delenatii x vietnamense was. To be honest, the buds on the other two were fully formed and days from opening, but for some reason blasted while I was out of town doing field work. They were outside, so I suppose there was an extra cool night that did them in. The Joyce Hasegawa even had two buds.

looks like a bud to me!
sometimes my maudiae types rebloom like this, but the sheath is normal sized.
And I have read before that it does happen normally,
My Vanda M pearman has all its leaves slightly more compact than when I got it, but I think that is ok since it hugely dwarfed, and the plant is a clump. I think it rebloomed on three leaves but I have to double check (I'm not at home but the library).

Are you sure it's a spike and not a stolonous growth?

It is definitely a spike. The stem is currently protruding about a half inch from the center of the growth and is yellow in color - the stolons on this plant come from the base and are purple, and they go all around the pot near the bottom before they find their way to the top. It just seems quite small. Only time will tell...

Looks ok to me, I am sure that's how they normally bloom. The bud will get bigger.

Let us know how it goes.

While watering, I just noticed that my Lynleigh Koopowitz is going to do the same "bloom on a small growth" thing that it did last year.

Latest posts

Back