Paphiopedilum Golden Palace

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Golden Palace

Paphiopedilum Memoria Larry Heuer x armeniacum

I honestly bought this one for the name and the fact that I love yellow flowers. I think there are better hybrids in this line of breeding, for instance there's Paph. China Moon and Paph. Harvey Man Hee Wong both of which are arguably better. However, this hybrid does have some unique features that make it subtly dinstinctive from those others. For instance, the sepals and petals are a creamier more buttery yellow than the lip, which is a more bright, deep, and crisp yellow creating a soft bicolor effect.

I don't know if this is an exceptionally small hybrid in general, but this particular plant only has a 5 in (13 cm) leaf span. It may just be a young bloomer and perhaps subsequent growths will be larger, though I'd love for it to stay this size. It's hard to beat 4.5 in (11.5 cm) blooms on a 5 inch plant.

Before I forget to mention, I cannot take credit for the bloom since I purchased it in low spike. Still amazed how well it handled being shipped in bud considering how small it is and that it's a first bloom plant.

The flower is very slightly scented like P. malipoense but it's honestly so faint it makes me question whether my mind is playing tricks on me or not. Sometimes I give it a whiff and I think I smell something, and then the next time I try, I get nothing.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/3KDUkdC

Co10hpVl.jpg

mC9pEDTl.jpg

TsO14F0l.jpg

i5sSOI5l.jpg

I just got the last one at Orchids For You (Vienna VA), in low bud. Will post pics if it blooms.

Cool, definitely do that. I am really impressed with this hybrid.

The flower lasted a really long time. Since it was a small, first-bloom plant and I wanted it to put its energy into growing now that I've seen it in bloom, I ended up cutting the spike off a week or two after this was posted and put it in a cup of water. The flower held on for over a month (maybe two) after being cut! I can only imagine it would have lasted at least as long if not longer had I left it on the plant.

Latest posts

Back