A triploid Fritz.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From the Fischer’s at OL, flowering for the second time on a much bigger growth than last year. Parents are the tetraploid besseae ‘robs choice ‘ and kovachii ‘terminator’. The plant is very vigorous and the flowering stem already has a branch. The flower colour is a pleasing pinky red shade with little of the kovachii purple to dull it down. Plus there is no reflexing of the petals.
D3D8A1EF-4D4A-4B26-BB3F-76939EDA5F31.jpeg
88E28785-2E8B-42F1-B038-667E8BAFC224.jpeg
It’s half way to being a decent plant and clone. Fingers crossed for more next year,
David

It's a very nice flower for sure. I picked up some of these, and they do grow well. I'm just hopeful that mine turn out to be more of the red-orange color range because I'm pink/purpled out.

If you want a good Fritz then look for polyploid crosses made with tetraploid besseaes. They are out there. Others have been posted here from similar crosses and they are all good. A double dose of besseae produces a different less purple flower colour which appeals more to me personally and the polyploidy produces a vigorous plant with thicker leaf and petal segments. This means there is less likelihood of those nasty reflexes on the lower edge of the petals that so many suffer from.
David

And today the bloom has a distinct orange hue to it. I had not noticed this colour change last year, but this year there is a clear development.
Now there is almost nothing of the kovachii purple visible.
E7BD7470-7D4B-42B0-B297-0FBCE8A6AD8C.jpeg

Very nice a really lovely bloom. I don't have a flowering size plant of this one. I have a seedling made with besseae var flavum, so expect to have pinkish blooms.

Latest posts

Back