A really nice flowering Neofinetia and a few others!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neo-guy

This is a variegated form called 'Surugafukirin'. It flowered really well this year, with all flower facing forward. It almost hides the plant! Very fragrant at night.

2678287551_0357a16097.jpg

Here's one of the pink varieties called 'Shinkoto':

2678291461_a956d55a30.jpg

This is a tiger stripe variety called 'Hakuun':

2670598472_0d0935e372.jpg

And a no-lip variety called 'Hoshiguruma':

2669763293_a07f4542ff.jpg

Peter

These are nice but I ALWAYS kill them. I think because the leaves overlap, unlike equitant oncidiums, and moisture and dirt gets trapped inside.

:clap: That Suruga especially--really nice! I've liked the Star Car types since seeing them in person, but their no spur quality got me down because of the lack of scent. Yours is very pretty though.

Eric, you can do it, but you have to let them dry out--as in crunchy moss. They rot from the bottom up if you don't and, before you know it, the leaves are dropping. The smaller bean leaf types seem most susceptible to it from my experience. :sob:

Greg (oops, I mean Robin, I saw the name Greg on the post, and didn't notice it was a quote!) is totally correct. I keep all my Neos fairly dry. They are mostly in moss in the open net pots. In the winter they get very little water as they are semi-dormant. In the summer (when they bloom) I water more liberally.
Many times the roots do better outside of the medium. You'll notice they soak up water readily when wet, than dry soon after.
Peter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err..You mean Robin? Anyway, my problem is I'm a compulsive waterer I get up every morning and water first thing, and sometimes also before I go to sleep. I think if I try these again it will have to be in S/H. [Shhhhh. Don't tell Candace I said that! :ninja:]

Err..You mean Robin? Anyway, my problem is I'm a compulsive waterer I get up every morning and water first thing, and sometimes also before I go to sleep. I think if I try these again it will have to be in S/H. [Shhhhh. Don't tell Candace I said that! :ninja:]

I suggest Cabomba, Anubias, Swords, Vallisneria… If you have room, kelp would be good for you too.

Those are wonderful!
I have a Gekeikkan and Hisui getting ready to open (just got the Hisui) at home. Mine have been thriving outside but I do let them dry out. I also use Jason's method of potting so there is a hole up through the bottom of the pot through the moss which helps keep the center dryer.

I have a Gekeikkan and Hisui getting ready to open (just got the Hisui) at home. Mine have been thriving outside but I do let them dry out. I also use Jason's method of potting so there is a hole up through the bottom of the pot through the moss which helps keep the center dryer.

Nice! The greens are probably my favorite as far as color forms go. You like bean leaves and green, do you have Suikuden? It's not AS green as Hisui or Yamadori Midori etc., but it combines "fat", green-tipped flowers and those nice leaves...

The potting method Heather mentioned is illustrated nicely on the New World Orchids site (#2)--it'd probably work well for you, Eric (and, yes, I was teasing you about the water plants--they're all in my aquariums!):

http://www.newworldorchids.com/pages/neopotting.htm

Those are fantastic plants, good growing :clap:

I think I keep mine too wet, I'm going to let them dry out more.

Trust me if I find some plants [besides porthos] that I can grow and flower in the water trays I will.

dude, hawaiian tree fern has your name written all over it; the instructions say they like to have water drizzled over the crown twice a day....... no flowers though just spores (but you can mount other orchids to the crown after it gets taller...)

and yes, very nice flowers!

Latest posts

Back