A Pale Scottish besseae flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on Angela, buy our house, move to Scotland with your reluctant man, and I'll give you this flavum... Deals don't get much better than that, now do they..? ;) :wink:

Great pictures of a gorgeous flavum! Well done, and thanks for all your sharing!

David

That's a winner with broad petals, fenestrations and great
color. Don, you come sell my nursery, I'll buy your house
and I get some great Phrags. Great deal and no $$$$.
Ain't that the way it always is????

How sweet is that - the closeup of the fuzzy flower made me smile! Thanks.

I'm glad you like that photo. You don't especially notice the fuzz / hairs with the naked eye, or at least at 59 my eyes don't..! So zooming in with the macro lens really helps in this case. :)

There have been so many postings in the last couple of days that I cannot recall where the question arose of how to get ahold of the EYOF plants in the UK, now that Ratcliffes have gone. So I'll just mention it here. I spoke with Sara Rittershausen of Burnham's Orchids on Friday, and she said it would be very helpful if people were to contact them and let them know they would be interested. It costs them a lot to go over to Jersey with a van, and bring plants back. So advance notice can be sent out to all who let them know they could be interested in EYOF plants. They of course won't know what they are bringing back until they get there. In any case, the costs are so high, that the trip they made in the past year was the first one they had made in 5 years. But if a few of us let them know of our interest, they would probably make the trip more frequently, at least once a year I would hope.

By the way I bought several small EYOF phrags from Burnhams a few months back, and am very pleased to see several are in spike. One should open within a week or so: Vingtaine de Maufant (Petite Queillette x kovachii). Chris Purver of the EYOF sent me a few photos to see what to expect, and it looks wonderful. So I am filled with anticipation..!

I'm curious to know anyone's knowledge or views on something. Given that all the besseae flavum out there are descendants of one plant, is it likely that these descendants will become weaker with each generation of selfing?

Also, one doesn't see much variation in form, which is obviously due to the one parent. But can hidden genetic variation bring forth more variation in form in succeeding generations? I mean apart from producing 4n varieties via colchicine treatments. We see that bit of red stripe on the 'nose' of the pouch in the just-previous flavum post. How much variety is out there, and how much more might we expect?

Lastly, what do you think the odds are that a 2nd naturally occurring flavum will be found?

selfings

Continual selfings of a species that habitually out crosses will usually result in weaker plants over the generations but it also self selects for plants that will grow well despite this factor.
Hidden factors can appear spontaneously during rounds of selfing and these can take many forms.
The best way to improve the form of the flavum besseaes would be to outcross it to a good red.
This would probably produce 100% reds in the following generation but then you would either sib cross two of these progeny or back cross one of these new generation reds to a flavum.
If flavum is a mutation then sibbing two lines would produce 25% yellows and back crossing would produce 50% yellows.
Breeders use both systems for improving the form of weakermutations,
David

Continual selfings of a species that habitually out crosses will usually result in weaker plants over the generations but it also self selects for plants that will grow well despite this factor.
Hidden factors can appear spontaneously during rounds of selfing and these can take many forms.
The best way to improve the form of the flavum besseaes would be to outcross it to a good red.
This would probably produce 100% reds in the following generation but then you would either sib cross two of these progeny or back cross one of these new generation reds to a flavum.
If flavum is a mutation then sibbing two lines would produce 25% yellows and back crossing would produce 50% yellows.
Breeders use both systems for improving the form of weakermutations,
David

Thank you David, very interesting..! And is this what some breeders are doing with besseae flavum? Anyone know?

TOne should open within a week or so: Vingtaine de Maufant (Petite Queillette x kovachii). Chris Purver of the EYOF sent me a few photos to see what to expect, and it looks wonderful. So I am filled with anticipation..!

I think there may be a photo in the thread from the Paph Symposium in DC a couple of years ago, search "Chris Purver" to find it.

And is this what some breeders are doing with besseae flavum? Anyone know?

There have been different routes taken, some have done the cross with a super-red, some have done line breeding and selection, and some have used colchicine to effect the ploidy.

Back