A No I.D Paph in Bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Yusuf Jeewa

Reaction score
I purchased this lovely clump from a vendor in March.He told had it around 5 years but it had never bloomed.Soon after taking it home it pushed out a bud( I saw it in low bud when I took it home).
Would anyone be able to hazard a guess as to what it may be?
Thanks from South Africa20200712_103117.jpg20200712_103117.jpg20200712_103059.jpg

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have no guess as to the name, but it does have very nice foliage.
I'd love to see the bloom when it opens.

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
There is no way in the world to tell what it is until the flower opens and the staminode is displayed. Yet even then, it is anyone's guess, but at least we will have some clue other than the leaves that look like brachy type leaves.

Yusuf Jeewa

Reaction score
Thanks Eric.It was a terrific price.Cheaper than a normal Maudiae Paph.The grower was just trying to maintain cash flow due to the COVID Lockdown plus the fact that it hadn't flowered .

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Sure looks like a bellatulum based on floral morphology, spotting and the staminode (or one of the F1 progeny like S. Gratrix).
Bellatulums are notorious for not opening fully. Really nice clump though!

Yusuf Jeewa

Reaction score
Sure looks like a bellatulum based on floral morphology, spotting and the staminode (or one of the F1 progeny like S. Gratrix).
Bellatulums are notorious for not opening fully. Really nice clump though!
Thanks Dr for your insights .The flower has opened more since the last pic.I will wait a few more days to see if opens further.

Attachments