A bit of a change...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess with Oz being in Monterey that is really more central Ca than Southern.

But since they are wholesaling only these days, you'd have to dig around and find out who in S. Ca they are selling to.

Hi Hubert! I am a soCal native and live in Orange County, CA. You will definitely find some orchid-lovers out here! I second the suggestions of visiting Andy's orchids in Encinitas. His offerings are orchid species of all kinds... both he and his brother are friendly and very helpful.

I highly recommend Dean Hung's nursery paphinessorchids! He is really passionate about Paphs and very knowledgable. Most of the orchids in my collection are from his nursery. He also has orchids from OZ.

By the way, you should try to go to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate International Orchid Fair July 9-10th; and Fascination of Orchids show September 24-25th, I'm sure you will find many orchids in bloom at these two events to fill your studio or one bedroom apt!

Check out Southern CA other events: http://www.orchidssc.org/ossc_calendar_of_events.aspx

Anyhow, the weather has been fantastic! Sunny, coastal breeze; the average temp. this week will be around 67F, where I live. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys that's great!! I'm still in the throes of tying up loose ends, can't believe I'm flying out already next week. I'm thinking that while I'm in temporary accommodation for the first two months I might just choose one orchid to keep me happy :D

Just while I'm in the serviced apartment or hotel. I'll be getting more when I get my own place (studio or 1 bedroom). I'm thinking something smallish... Maybe a Cymbidium Golden Elf 'Sundust', which should be blooming when I arrive. Or maybe Masdevallia Pixie Treasure 'Antique Gold', which reblooms regularly. Or maybe I will need both?! I'm seriously thinking of buying them the first weekend I land! :rollhappy:

Oh and maybe Neofinetia too...

Just while I'm in the serviced apartment or hotel. I'll be getting more when I get my own place (studio or 1 bedroom). I'm thinking something smallish... Maybe a Cymbidium Golden Elf 'Sundust', which should be blooming when I arrive. Or maybe Masdevallia Pixie Treasure 'Antique Gold', which reblooms regularly. Or maybe I will need both?! I'm seriously thinking of buying them the first weekend I land! :rollhappy:

Oh and maybe Neofinetia too...

You are definitely going to need a trip to Andy's if you are looking for cool small species. Get a big aquarium (or other big glass/plexi box) to make a Wardian case.

I did have a think about a Wardian case, but starting to think that using something like this from IKEA and covering with polyfilm might work: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69829083. If I can find a place with hardwood floors I could put wheels on it and push it around. A fan or two inside should work. I could remove the first shelf and hang some baskets from the top and then place pots of orchids and ferns on the lower shelves. What do you guys think?

Or maybe I could adapt an IKEA Billy bookcase into a big Wardian case of sorts by removing the shelves and replacing with metal wire shelves. I'd have to waterproof the bookcase though... I could then attach polyfilm to both sides and voila!

Or maybe I could adapt an IKEA Billy bookcase into a big Wardian case of sorts by removing the shelves and replacing with metal wire shelves. I'd have to waterproof the bookcase though... I could then attach polyfilm to both sides and voila!

VOILA:wink:

Dang Hubert, have you got a place yet?

I'm in temporary accommodation for two months, a serviced apartment. Will have to work on getting my own place.

Welcome to the USA, Hubert!!

What orchids did you buy?

Thanks! I bought some Cyms, a Paph, a Neo and an Angraecum. I'll post the details tomorrow in the collection section :)

Latest posts

Back