2 newest members

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
Here are the 2 newest members of the clan. We'll be getting a couple more next year. They're very cute:>

img0184t.jpg

They're Rhode Island Reds. We're probably going to get a couple different ones next year. Maybe the "Sex-Linked" variety the next season. We mainly are aiming for the breeds known for egg production. Not meat, Eric. :fight:

The hatchery has a 90% sexing accuracy. If any of these turn out to be male, they will have to go.

They're Rhode Island Reds. We're probably going to get a couple different ones next year. Maybe the "Sex-Linked" variety the next season. We mainly are aiming for the breeds known for egg production. Not meat, Eric. :fight:
:chick: Well they sure are precious, and I think it's great you are raising them for the eggs and not for the meat. I hope someday to have a few egg-laying hens in my own yard. I rather like Buckeyes and Rhode Island Reds, but I know nothing :confused: about the "Sex-Linked" variety to which you referred. :chick: :chick: :chick:

I'm no chicken expert myself. But the "sex-Linked" variety is genetically colored by their sex. The males have different coloration than the females as chicks. Where with the other breeds, the chicks all look alike and have to be sexed by an expert. And even they sometimes mess up. So, with "Sex-Linked" if you want a hen, you'd get a hen. Whereas, the other breeds are *somewhat* of a gamble. Chicks do get mixed up in transport and aren't identified correctly a percentage of the time. Certain breeds are better meat chickens, others more for show and some for their egg production. The Rhode Island Reds are known for being less nervous/flighty and are great egg layers:>

These are from my 6 spoiled girls that will be a year old in March. I raised them from tiny babies like yours. Yes some of the eggs are blue.
Who would have ever guessed that having chickens was so much fun.

IMG_4346.jpg

Candace, I do love a chicken. I get the Murray McMurray catalogs every year just to drool, though a flock in my backyard in Memphis is just not a practical idea. Your new additions look mighty fine to me.

I'm no chicken expert myself. But the "sex-Linked" variety is genetically colored by their sex. The males have different coloration than the females as chicks. Where with the other breeds, the chicks all look alike and have to be sexed by an expert. And even they sometimes mess up. So, with "Sex-Linked" if you want a hen, you'd get a hen. Whereas, the other breeds are *somewhat* of a gamble. Chicks do get mixed up in transport and aren't identified correctly a percentage of the time. Certain breeds are better meat chickens, others more for show and some for their egg production. The Rhode Island Reds are known for being less nervous/flighty and are great egg layers:>

Wow! Modern technology in a chicken! :)

I hope you will keep posting pictures as these little ones grow, reach adulthood, and begin to lay eggs. :clap:

I believe a cross of RIR with Barred Rocks gives you a gorgeous black with green shimmers.

Back