Returning member

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I very much thought you were no longer on this earth. Welcome back. I donā€™t know you but your original kovachii seedling culture posts were some of my first reference points when I started growing. I just saw your icon pop up in another thread and tracked back a bit to find where you picked back up. Happy to have you back in the forum.

Wow, I very much thought you were no longer on this earth. Welcome back. I donā€™t know you but your original kovachii seedling culture posts were some of my first reference points when I started growing. I just saw your icon pop up in another thread and tracked back a bit to find where you picked back up. Happy to have you back in the forum.
Thanks. Yeah about 10 years ago we went off grid down in Peru. Now we're back in California and getting set up to grow orchids again. So much has changed here I'm basically starting over, no idea what supplies and resources exist here.
I went back and reread all the posts I made about kovachii to refresh. I wish there was some way I could relink all the missing images.

Thanks. Yeah about 10 years ago we went off grid down in Peru. Now we're back in California and getting set up to grow orchids again. So much has changed here I'm basically starting over, no idea what supplies and resources exist here.
I went back and reread all the posts I made about kovachii to refresh. I wish there was some way I could relink all the missing images.

Welcome back Lance.

An administrator can do it for you. I once had to do the same for one of my old posts.

I came back to phrags last yearā€¦.industry has really changed. Thereā€™s a good thread, ā€œPiping Rockā€™s New Owner,ā€ that goes into whatā€™s been going on in that realm at least. Interesting to see the prices stay so stable compared to the houseplant market!

I came back to phrags last yearā€¦.industry has really changed. Thereā€™s a good thread, ā€œPiping Rockā€™s New Owner,ā€ that goes into whatā€™s been going on in that realm at least. Interesting to see the prices stay so stable compared to the houseplant market!
Hi Heather, can you elaborate about "Interesting to see the prices stay so stable compared to the houseplant market!"?

Hi Heather, can you elaborate about "Interesting to see the prices stay so stable compared to the houseplant market!"?
During the pandemic there was a bubble market with high demand for house plants. With the supply chain issues, availability of tropical house plants (mainly aroids) went through the roof. Some hard to find plants like certain species of variegated monsteras as an example shot up to thousands of dollars per plant. The bubble burst a year or so ago and prices have plummeted as nurseries have largely caught up with faded demand. It was the largest wave of house plant demand seen since the 70ā€™s from what Iā€™ve heard local nurseries mention. Lots of people I guess wanted house plants to decorate their home offices for zoom backgrounds and others got into the hobby to keep them occupied? Basically a massive speculative bubble. One positive outcome was more people got into plants, and some have now crossed over to orchids. But orchid prices have stayed pretty consistent through these past few years, even with all this new found enthusiasm.

What Pete saidā€¦also, a lot of vendors who werenā€™t into growing houseplants saw how profitable they could be and started propagating and selling so now thereā€™s also more vendors and the boom is over. In the nursery where I work, for example, we have seen the pink princess philodendron go from $150 for 4 inch to $13.50 in less in a year. Watching it with the Thai Constellation monsteras nowā€¦I currently have two prices on four inches from the same vendor because one is a few weeks older stock than the other. New one is $70 less than the older one! Our six inches are on sale for $150 and we canā€™t unload them!

Meanwhile, besseaes are $40 from Ecuageneraā€¦

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back