2 Disa uniflora

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again everyone!

Thanks John. That's excellent information......though we don't have basements in Australia (well certainly not within 1000 miles of here) so I'd have no hope of keeping the plants under 80F unless they sat in front of an airconditioner. Hmmm? That could be a problem. Australia is not a place where I'd expect there'd be a high water table. Is that the reason for not having basements; or, is it something else?

Grow them and post the flowers so we can all enjoy them! 'Will do!

Stone said:
Both house and G/H have evap cooling.
Maybe place the pots right in front of the evap cooler wall?

jaljala said:
Do you have any other species aside from D. uniflora?
I have a couple tripetaloides and aurata. I haven't bloomed them yet, however.

Here's an idea for those who have hot summers.

In the hot summer months, give Disas constant, strong air movement and set up a flood tray on a timer. Rather than standing the pots in a puddle of water (which would heat up), you could burry a small tank underground (to keep the water much cooler) and then have a sump pump fill the trays which then drain back to the sump - 3 or 4 times a day. Something as simple as a 35 gallon Rubbermaid pail, burried so that the top of the pail is level, or lower than the ground. That would work wonders at keeping the roots happy. It's the roots that want to be cool, not the foliage. It's also a good way to conserve precious rainwater when it's not in plentiful supply. In nature, the foliage and flowers typically withstand high heat. However, the roots are always cool and wet. The high air movement would also cool the foliage by evaporation and carry away any excessiveheat build up created by the strong sunlight. The automatic watering 3 or 4 times a day from the underground tank would ensure that the roots are cooled and wet at all times and therefore, easily able to meet the needs of the foliage, which of course, would be losing water at a high rate because of the strong air movement and heat.

thanks for sharing, very nice to see some grown well. aphids always got after mine and of course getting dried out never helped.
a way to make water cool before pumping up to your orchids would be to have a styrofoam cooler or shipping box, and every day put some ice cubes into the water and put the top back on the cooler. could even use those blue ice pack things and just drop into the water, then back into the freezer after they thaw out

Latest posts

Back