16th International Slipper Symposium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if this is the one I went to a few years ago. Frank Smith was the main host. It was a worthwhile event, that coincided with the paintball world Cup, so I killed 2 birds w/ one stone.

I've gone for maybe 6 years or so but didn't go last year. It's a great event. I just spoke with Hadley of Marriot's Orchids last night and he was invited as one of the vendors. Sam of Orchid Inn is usually there, as well as our own Ross from Deerwood orchids. Plus there will be more vendors. The biggest problem that you'll have is deciding where to spend your limited budget on. Usually good speakers and many times someone outside of the US comes and speaks and possible sells. Mainshow Orchids from Taiwan has been there the last couple of years as a vendor. He brings mostly paphs. but also some great phals. some of which are meristems although those naturally will be very pricey. I think they may be changing the hotel where they have it this year due to them expecting a larger turn out. Frank provides a barbecue the night after the event and they have an auction there. Also he opens up his greenhouse and sells on Sunday. All in all a great event.

Now what I'm about to say is just gossip but I believe that there is something to it. I heard that this year there is a large number of orchid clubs getting involved and they may even be having an AOS event butting up this event. I can't even remember where I head this info. but I heard it months ago. If this happens there will be a much larger crowd at the event and most likely more opportunities to meet and talk to some very knowledgeable people. If I can answer any more questions shoot me a e-mail or p.m.

OK, yes I went once,. Got outbid on a $600 Paph Crystelle! :p It's worth it to go at least once. I had lunch w/ Olaf Gruss on one side and Mr. Hamlyn (famous Jamaican Broughtonia hybridizer) on the other!

Now what I'm about to say is just gossip but I believe that there is something to it. I heard that this year there is a large number of orchid clubs getting involved and they may even be having an AOS event butting up this event. ...

It is not gossip, Bob - it's true! This year's Symposium will be held in conjunction with the Fall AOS members meeting. The Saturday schedule of speakers, plant sales, BBQ and Auction will be largely familiar to regular attendees, but in addition there will be speaker presentations of a more general orchid nature on Friday as well. We expect as many as 16 vendors from the U.S., South America and Taiwan. This should be the biggest year ever for the Symposium.

The website will be updated very soon. Just to spark a little interest, especially for fellow low-K fans and those who want to know more, our own Rick Lockwood will be presenting at the Symposium. For those phalaenopsis fans (Bob?), Peter Lin will offer a program on novelty phalaenopsis breeding on Friday. Oh yeah, there's a lot more, too.

This year, the Slipper Symposium is being held in conjunction with the AOS Fall Member's meeting, so I suspect there will be a wider variety of orchids for sale as well as a judged show.

That being said, the symposium is one of my favorite events of the year. The weather in Orlando is darn near perfect in early November.

So Scott, can non AOS members participate in the Friday talks and is there some type of registration?

Absolutely! Full Slipper Symposium registration includes all the presentations as well as the Preview Party for the show on Thursday evening. Registration this year will be online and that URL will be provided just as soon as the registration page is available. Oh - and I think everyone is gonna love the new hotel.

It's worth going just to see Frank's greenhouses. And, if Peter Lin is giving a talk and Mainshow Chen will be a vendor, you can't go wrong. :)

It's worth going just to see Frank's greenhouses. And, if Peter Lin is giving a talk and Mainshow Chen will be a vendor, you can't go wrong. :)

Frank's greenhouses will be bursting with orchids, Peter will be a big hit and everyone loves Mainshow Chen because, aside from being one of the nicest people in the world, Mr. Chen comes loaded with awesome slippers AND phals. He will be speaking about multi-floral paphs this year.

What about hotels within walking distance of the venue? Are there shuttles
from the airport? Generally, I'd rather not stay at the venue site and I
wonder about the availability of cabs in the area. I'm not trying to be picky,
but this sort of information is important if one is flying in. The last POE
I attended was a tremendous hassle getting back and forth to my hotel from the venue or even finding a good place to eat.

from the airport? Generally, I'd rather not stay at the venue site and I
wonder about the availability of cabs in the area. I'm not trying to be picky,
but this sort of information is important if one is flying in. The last POE
I attended was a tremendous hassle getting back and forth to my hotel from the venue or even finding a good place to eat.

LOL! It's not a big orchid show, rather it's the opposite, very intimate. The group lunches are simple and there's a lot of good interaction, lectures, etc. I don't know if they're having an auction, but i lost out bidding on a beautiful Paph Chrystelle for over $600, so bring your wallet!

Eric, I think this is really going to be a big event this year. It starts on Thursday night with a preview party and then has two days of speakers if you take in the non slipper speakers. I was thinking of going but then I just placed an expensive order for paphs. so promised my wife that I won't go. Don't forget to go to Franks on Sunday morning to view and buy (if you have any money left). The hotel is a lot more expensive this year as they changed the location, correct? Go to Krull Smiths web site and follow the links to the AOS. It should be a great event. If anyone is thinking of going you might want to put out feelers here and see if you can pick up a roommate to share the expense of the rental car and room. Just a thought.

Thanks for the link. Bob is correct, this has become a monster. I have to see if I can handle going from the paintball event in Orlando, to Montreal the next weekend, and then back to Orlando. :eek: At least I can take my GF to the AOS/Slipper Syposium.

Well, I never thought I'd hear the Slipper Symposium referred to as a "monster", but in this case I think it's pretty cool. It is going to be an awesome event. I understand there are several Florida orchid societies organizing bus trips to see the show and add to their collections with plants from the wide selection of vendors.

LOL! It's not a big orchid show, rather it's the opposite, very intimate. The group lunches are simple and there's a lot of good interaction, lectures, etc. I don't know if they're having an auction, but i lost out bidding on a beautiful Paph Chrystelle(sic) for over $600, so bring your wallet!

Eric would be correct under normal circumstances. There will be as many as five auctions this year.

• The main (bigger than ever) Slipper Symposium auction will be Saturday night at the BBQ at Krull-Smith.
  • The AOS will have an auction conducted by Alan Koch on Friday night.
  • The Pleurothallid Alliance usually has an auction of excellent pleurothallids at their meeting.
  • The Slipper Orchid Alliance normally has a small auction of select slipper-type orchids at their meeting.
  • The International Phalaenopsis Alliance always has an excellent auction at their luncheon featuring some very difficult to find phal species, stem props, flasks and top potential seedlings.

The new hotel is beautiful, and people who have attended in previous years will understand when I point out that it's not likely we will hear complaints about loud bikers and music in the club downstairs at our old venue this year.

So once again here are the various links:

The official website of the 16th International Slipper Orchid Symposium

Full Schedule of events and Online Registration at the website of the American Orchid Society

There is also a Facebook page with latest updates located at 16th International Slipper Orchid Symposium on Facebook

Latest posts

Back