1 NOID, 1 unsure

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jorch

I usually shy away from 1) NOIDs, and 2) bulldog type complex.. but when I saw this plant, a little voice in my head said I have to get it. :D

NOID complex paphs
DSC_0353Small.jpg

The flower doesn't fully open, quite cupped, but I like the shape and color.

The second one is Paph. Weathervane? The tag says maudiae 'alba' x philippinense 'alba'. not sure which maudiae alba cross was used though. Nice strong stem with 3 flowers. I hope the second bloom will have better petals.

DSC_0344Small.jpg

The second one is Paph. Weathervane? The tag says maudiae 'alba' x philippinense 'alba'. not sure which maudiae alba cross was used though. Nice strong stem with 3 flowers. I hope the second bloom will have better petals.
This is not an "unsure". However, the cross name is "Weather Vane" (two words). The cross is Paph. Maudiae x philippinense. Maudiae is (callosum x lawrenceanum). So, your plant is 1/4 callosum, 1/4 lawrenceanum and 1/2 philippinense. It does not matter which colour varieties were used, the hybrid name remains the same.

BTW: Because of the philippinense parent, it's likely to always have twisted petals. It's in the genes.

:wink: If you liked both & the price was right - why not, GO FOR IT! :clap:
Nice noIDs!

I do like that maudiae 'alba' x philippinense 'alba'. Way nicer than my Paph Clair de Lune x philippinense
Why do you think that the maudiae parent is confused?

Ah, Thanks :) I'll change the tag.

John, the reason I was hoping for "better" petals is because one is more twisted then the other. I was hoping for more balanced twisting.. and more twisting. lol~ :p

I think people get confused between Paph. Maudiae and Maudiae-type, not realizing that the "type" comes from the actual plant, Maudiae.

I think people get confused between Paph. Maudiae and Maudiae-type, not realizing that the "type" comes from the actual plant, Maudiae.
You've hit the nail on the head, Dot. "Maudiae" refers to a primary hybrid cross between two specific species; namely - callosum and lawrenceanum. "Maudiae-type" is a generic term with no formal definition. It loosely and unofficially refers to any Paph that looks like and/or grows like Paph. Maudiae.

Yes, to answer Fren's question, that's what I mean. Not sure if this cross is really Maudiae x philippinense or a Maudiae-type hybrid like Claire de Lune with philippinense.

Yes, to answer Fren's question, that's what I mean. Not sure if this cross is really Maudiae x philippinense or a Maudiae-type hybrid like Claire de Lune with philippinense.

Whenever we buy a named plant, even if the flower looks correct, we still have to use blind faith and assume that the name is correct. In this case, the flower is bang on what would be expected for a Maudiae alba x philippinense alba. So, why would you choose to second guess the name on this one? The tag indicates that the seed parent is Maudiae, not Maudiae-type; so, lacking any evidence to the contrary, why not just believe the tag to be true?

:clap: :clap: I agree John! IMO it is what the tag indicates. If the flower is newly opened, petals could twist more.

Jorch, How long have you owned the Paph Weather Vane? If recently purchased then don't be overly critical of this "first time" blooming. Changing the growing conditions can have a big influence on the outcome of the flowers. Secondly, future bloomings will be dramaticlly different then the first time. That's why many say "it may improve on the next blooming, keep it"

I will keep this plant for sure :) Pretty strong stem with 3 flowers for a first blooming plant, and i love the color :)

Jo, no, this one is not from Paramount. Their version is coloratum, if my memory is correct.

Back