Paph question!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Angel5Gigi

Hi, everyone! I was hoping to get some more info on Paphiopedilum. I just got one, almost a week ago, with what seems to be a beautiful flower about to bloom. My question is: how long do Paphs usually take for their flower to open?

It's not a small bud, but quite large and seems to be ready. I thought she'd open by now, but that could just be my excitement talking lol. I'll include a link to a photo of her below, in case that helps.

Any info would be great, thanks!

20150315_185916_zpsdt5yqqln.jpg

Yes, I believe it is a maudiae. The tag that came along says: "Paphiopedilum Petula's Pulsar (Ruby Pulsar 'Yukio' x Petula's Mystery 'Dark Aura'). This looks like the cross it came from? It's actually a good bit darker than in the photo; flash made it look lighter, but I do think it'll be nice and colorful with the green :).

5 months for a malipoense to bloom?! Wow, I'd never have guessed. A couple of weeks for mine, ok, thanks! I'll be patient and tend to it well. So excited!

Thanks so much for the info, all! I reallllly appreciate it.

You need to get so many plants that you don't have time to sit and wait!

^^ I agree with this! I have phals, vandaceous orchids, a couple cattleya, phrags and paphs. Hint: Having several blooming phals! That offers a good distraction.. Even if my orchids aren't blooming, most of them are actively growing right now, which makes me as happy as them blooming. :D

wow, when I think of my sanderianum that will MAYBE not bloom before the year 2025, waiting a year to see a plant bloom, seem like nothing :)

I am surprised that this plant bloom blasted because it looks like it was opening already. I thought blast would only happen when the bug was in formation, not when it was so mature.

I am watering all my paph and frags every day. I have been doing this for a year now and they seem happy.

I do have several other Phal plants and a couple in bloom to keep me distracted and orchid-happy always :D. I have no other Paphs, though.

Daniella3d, would you mind sharing how exactly you water your paph? I would like to own another one at some point, and would appreciate any pointers:). I didn't think it would bud blast, either, but it did get so cold at that time:(. Maybe with the warmer weather coming, and better conditions in my home, I can do better for a Paph.

Latest posts

Back