Help needed with Masdevallia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantis

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I´ve seen really nice Masdevallia in this site and I think you´ll be able to help us with one plant. I say “us” because the plant I´ll talk about belongs to a friend of mine (at least the mother plant).

In 2007 my friend purchased a Masdevallia floribunda. It grew very well (despite the hot summers we have in Madrid) but didn´t flower. Due to its growth rate, this plant was divided. Finally in 2011, a small division of this plant flowered and since then it has been flowering every year with lots of flowers (about 30 this year), but the other piece hasn´t flowered yet.
Both are kept under the same cultural conditions and both grow like weed.

DSC02087.JPGDSC02088.JPG

DSC02090.JPGDSC02091.JPG

Now I´ve been given a new division from the non-flowered piece in order to try new cultural conditions to make it flower. In less than one and a half months it has sent twice the amount of leaves it had when I received the plant.

Masde.florib. 28-5-13.JPG

Do you find any explanation for this to happen?
Same temp., same potting media, same watering schedule, SAME PLANT (or maybe not?).
I find important to say that the leaves of the two pieces seem lightly different between them so… do you think they could be different plants as well? Maybe she bought a mixed plant?

Thanks in advance.

maybe the plants that were divided are now 'moister' because they are smaller plants in larger pots. maybe you should water the larger plant more? just a guess

Thank you both for your answers.

Lets see how these plants develop... (At least we´ll have HUGE Masdevallias in a couple of years. No flowers, but a huge plants :poke:)

Latest posts

Back