Paph. Doll's Kobold (roots)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-spice

Reaction score
Impressive roots grown by this Doll's Kobold in S/H medium.

DSC_0896.JPG

What's the "magic drinking" for this result. Rain Mix from Akerne or else ?

Can you tell us a little about how your S/H system works and what you fertilize?

Well, this one was growing in a 1-quart food container with four 3/8-inch holes drilled a little less than an inch from the bottom which makes a small reservoir in the bottom of the pot. I use the old-style PrimeAgra medium. I water when the reservoir is empty.

It gets watered with very weak fertilizer solution every watering. The water I use is from a reverse osmosis system. The fertilizer is the MSU-type for pure water from First Rays.

The plant grows under four regular T-8 fluorescent tubes which are on about 12 hours per day.

Hope this helps.

I was a little surprised by the root growth of this hybrid. Neither of the parents, henryanum or charlesworthii are great root growers.

Wow, look! Some roots with a bit of greenery attached to the top of them! :wink:

Great growing and I have the same "problem" with many of my Phals. It's a nightmare to repot them!

I think it is related to the algae decomposition as well, not only the fertilizer. I noticed that plants with algae were growing much, much, faster and better than those that do not have any algae or moss, probably from a release of amino acids as a metabolic product or decomposition product of the algae...

Ok so if you do have the green algae in the semi hydro that is a good thing? I have a few that have it in the cups, the plants seem great but I was thinking I would have to repot. And with the roots that huge and being in semi hydro, could you just put it in a bigger pot, add more prime agra, and not bother retangling them?

Ok so if you do have the green algae in the semi hydro that is a good thing? I have a few that have it in the cups, the plants seem great but I was thinking I would have to repot. And with the roots that huge and being in semi hydro, could you just put it in a bigger pot, add more prime agra, and not bother retangling them?

I don't think algae hurts anything. If you're going to a bigger pot, I wouldn't bother untangling the roots. It would just hurt them. That brings me to another point though - I try to keep plants in the very smallest container they'll fit in. The roots seem to do better that way.

Latest posts

Back