Paphiopedilum papuanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here one of the rare species of the genus

Paphiopedilum papuanum

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009WssenKn-1.jpg

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009WssenKn-2.jpg

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009WssenFront.jpg

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009WssenSeite.jpg

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009Wssenseitl.jpg

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009WssenRckse.jpg

Paphiopedilumpapuanum2009WssenStami.jpg

It would be interesting to see also pictures of other clones here. The variability of this species is near unknown.

Best greetings

Olaf

Hardly anyone has this plant Olaf. How long have you been growing it? Can you post a picture of the whole plant?

This is very cool:clap::clap:

Olaf,
Is it related to appletonianum? hookerae? wenworthianum?

Olaf- this has probably been asked before..but is this the same plant as "zieckianum"? Certainly looks like it....I want it! Take care, Eric

Dear Jean-Lux,
the flower is comletely open.
My friend will try the selfing, but in the past the artificial propagation of this species was always a problem.

Best greetings

Olaf

Great Pictures Olaf! Thanks for sharing. We used to have a plant that was labeled Paph. papuanum. It was a hard plant to grow, and I think we have unfortunately lost it :sob: When it bloomed I tried selfing it, but like you said, did not have any luck getting any seedlings to grow in the lab. Here are some pictures I took of it when it bloomed in 2002:

PaphpapuanumBiakclose9172002.jpg

PaphpapuanumBiak9172002.jpg

In my picture file I also have 2 pictures of a plant named Paph. zieckianum, which I believe is considered to be the same species as Paph. papuanum:
Paphpapuanumzieckianum101399.jpg

Paphzieckianum-1.jpg

Robert

Robert

I heard this group, violascens, bogovellianum, etc. are notorious for staying alive. I had one violascens and it unfortunatley die after flowering and not to mention grow very slowly. Only about one leaf a year.

This is a bid different from the other two shown. This one came in as paph zieckianum. However, the plant looks exactly the same as the one shown by Robert, be it the size, the pattern and the color of the plant.

Dear Robert and Truemadman,
many thanks for your pictures. The last shown plant seems to be a regional variety of Paph. papuanum but is not identical with the so described Paph. zieckianum. I get also pictures of this clone, but would need more informations about.

Here for your information the typeplant of zieckianum

GrennderungzieckianumTypefront.jpg

ZeichnungOriginalbeschreibung.jpg

Perhaps Paph. zieckianum is also a local variety of papuanum, but no plant is in culture.
But it would be interesting to see more of these plantgroup.

Best greetings

Olaf

Back