Paph. Aldebaran

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liemianum! lol.. What is the aim of making such crosses, may I ask?

I agree this one does look very similar to Paph. liemianum, but there was actually some interesting variability in this cross. As a breeder, you are always looking for more variability, and for hybrid vigor. If you cross species A x species A, you pretty well know what the outcome will be. However if you cross Hybrid A (made by crossing species A to species B) onto species C, you may get some new and novel characteristics...SO my aim is, to create a more vigorous plant, that has some interesting characteristics that are different than the true species.

If breeders wouldn't have made such crosses, hybrids like Phrag. Jason Fischer, Barbara LeAnn or Red Wing would never have existed...

Robert

Like the flower, hate the confusion, uncertain about the breeding potential.

This was bred with the regular primulinum (yellow form), so this one will be 1/2 album. When crossed with another album (say a yellow Pinocchio) it will produce 50% yellows...so my reasoning was to eventually get a yellow cochlo hybrid that has liemianum and moquetteanum in it's background..(just to create more genetic variation).

These Chochlopetalum hybrids always sell well for us. People like the fact that they repeat bloom. And not to many breeders breed for these kind of hybrids, so someone has to do it :)

Robert

Latest posts

Back