Paph. Aldebaran '#2'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Earlier I posted another picture of Paph. Aldebaran (=Amarantine x primulinum).

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36854

Just to show you some of the variation within this cross, this is another seedling. The first seedling looked very similar to a Paph. liemianum. This one inherited the liemianum pouch, but the primulinum dorsal, and looks very different than any species...

Robert

It looks like the colored form of primulinum to me. Is it larger then a prim?

It just so happens that we have a primulinum purpurescens in bloom, so I posted a picture for comparison:

side by side:

so, yes, they are different. The flower of P. primulinum purpurescens is slightly smaller, the pouch is skinnier, and a little differently shaped; The flower of the Aldebaran plant, the lip of the pouch flares out more. The dorsal is different. In primulinum purpurescens, the dorsal is more indented, and is slightly differently shaped. Also at the base of the dorsal, the Aldebaran flower has some pigmentation. The overall color of the flowers are different, on the primulinum flower there are more "yellow tones, this is especially noticeable on the pouch, and finally the staminodal shield is differently shaped on both plants..

Robert

You should also mention the Aldebaran is a purpurescens with moquette petal pattern. The Aldebaran's dorsal is not as severly wrinkled as is the species. Pretty cool results.

Latest posts

Back