Sophrolaelia Caprice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
This is one of Bill Porter's hybrids. Interesting story about names: when he made the cross and sent it in to be registered, it's name was Shombrolaelia Caprice (L. lucasiana v fournier x Schom. schultzii ‘Old Mill’), but when the paperwork came back, it's name became Sophrolaelia Caprice (S. longipes x L. Schultzii). Go figure!

Sophrolaelia_Caprice-side.jpg

It's lovely, Dot. And as for the name changes, it's impossible to keep up with all of them these days. Better to just relax and enjoy the beauty of the flowers!

Oooooooooooh, that's nice!!!! As far as I'm concerned, it's still a Schombolaelia!

Actually, it is now Laeliocattleya Caprice... Brazilian Laelias became Cattleyas in the latest round... let's see for how long... Probably soon it will be Phragmicattleya Caprice :D

How big is the plant?
I keep forgetting to answer this, Mark -- sorry!
I would say the plant is intermediate in size, not mini, but not standard, either. It does have upright growths, which helps keep it's size in check. The leaves are very stiff and fairly narrow. I'd like to see Bill remake this, as the flowers are unique. We sold quite a few, but the mortality rate of the seedlings was pretty high, for some reason.

It is impossible to keep up with the name changes!! The blooms are lovely. Very fresh and elegant!

nice flowers and pictures, as usual. I had thought about asking before but never got around to it, but- what type of lighting do you use, and are you screening the light with fabric or bouncing it? someone gave me an umbrella flash bouncing unit which helps some but is a bit bulky and awkward

nice flowers and pictures, as usual. I had thought about asking before but never got around to it, but- what type of lighting do you use, and are you screening the light with fabric or bouncing it? someone gave me an umbrella flash bouncing unit which helps some but is a bit bulky and awkward
As I explained in an earlier thread:
There's not much to my set-up, really. I photograph in my sunroom -- light is coming from 3 directions, making the lighting similar to a soft box. I place my plant on a table in the middle of the room with a piece of black velvet material mounted on a posterboard as the background. I and my camera are between the plant/backdrop and the windows (behind me and to the sides). I avoid direct sunlight on the flower. I do usually bounce some light into the flower from beneath it because the dorsal is usually somewhat shaded.

Back