wossners vietnam gold - is pink

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could it be Wossner Vietnam Love = micranthum x vietnamense
and not
Wossner Vietnam Gold = armeniacum x vietnamense
as thought?

the response from the nursery I bought it from was:
I just heard from the hybridizer in Hawaii, he said that he has seen some flowers that are yellow with a hint of pink. He also says that the staminode is the type you find in vietnamense so we think it is Vietnam Gold but a very unusual one. Neither of us has seen one this translucent"
so they are saying it is a pink translucent "vietnam gold"
just make sure I label the plant as "PINK"

We've bloomed lots of different W Vietnam Golds, and they look nothing like this one. They can be apricot-ish, especially in the pouch, but never pink. Even disregarding color... Staminode is all wrong- neither arm or viet have spots on the stami like that, same for the slight fold (that's coming from micranthum). Petals are all wrong. Dorsal is all wrong. Stem is all wrong. Leaves (if that one belongs to this plant), all wrong. Pouch all wrong- all have rows of spots on the interior. I agree it's probably a W V Love or Magic Lantern.

so write it off to experience, poor customer service if the nursery (major orchid seller of paphs) won't acknowledge it doesn't look like the cross and they or someone made a mistake, Ive purchased quite a few plants from them, not a one time EBAY seller.. So I should just pull the tag.. call it a pink NOID - cute but not the labeled cross ?

fully open photo, does have small black dots if you look inside the bottom of the pouch - is a big flower, but likely magic lantern and not a "great" one?
just cute

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now that you eliminate Wossner Vietnam Gold as the cross.
There is a chance that it is Wossner vietnam Love.
Compare the petals, staminode, leaves etc.. with other Magic Lanterns & Wossner Vietnam Love to see which conclusion is more likely.
I would guess the paph vietnamense parent can make the leaf more shiny, smaller, flower with elongated petal when compare to the paph delenatii parent.

Can you get a better (look who's talking! :p) photo of the foliage? Also, let us know how long the bloom lasts; vietnamense, so far in the USA, has a woefully short bloom life.

The staminode is wrong for Magic Lantern, my fairly confident guess is that this is a Wossner's Vietnam Love, (vietnamense x micranthum)

Latest posts

Back