World issues

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... And the New Madrid earthquake in the earlier 1800's redirected the Mississippi river!
Join ST and get your history lessons! :p I'm searching my memory banks & can't remember hearing that, it would be cool to see a side by side map, before & after.
Nice to hear NYC should be relatively safe but due to population growths in any areas could result in disaster.
Did the north Peru quake happen in a remote area? Haven't heard anything more.

Yes, North Peru was in remote area towards Brazil. Now we're hearing about category 3 storm in NYC saturday. I have to check how this corresponds to tides as I'm a Coastal Flood Evacuation volunteer. :(

Yes, North Peru was in remote area towards Brazil. Now we're hearing about category 3 storm in NYC saturday. I have to check how this corresponds to tides as I'm a Coastal Flood Evacuation volunteer. :(

Be safe NYEric as well as the rest who live in the northeast.

Eric- the storm is due at about 8 PM. On the incoming high tide. On the highest tide of the month. The city government is freaking out....do not take the subway Sunday night!

This was the srongest I felt in NY. The whole house was shaking. It is a strange feeling. Now we are getting ready for Irene!! We will get the wind & rain.. I hope everyone on east coast stays safe (especially in the flood zones)..

Latest I heard will that it will hit earlier, morning high tide. The eyewall is weakening, so the hit on NC should substantially reduce its strength. However, with the size of the storm and its arrival on (now AM) high tide, the storm surge is still expected to be very bad. Possibly worst in a century (or more) levels. I fortunately live in one of the highest elevation areas in NYC, about 100' above sea level, but lower coastal areas will have major problems. Southern Queens, western/southern Brooklyn...lower, east, west Manhattan (good your on a high floor, Eric!)

my brother lives in brooklyn just off the bridge from staten island which seems like one of the low zones. I sent him a note, but he as usual didn't state any plans for doing anything in particular :rolleyes: . at least he lives on the third floor ;)

Mandatory evacuation of coastal areas in NYC. Have to be out of there by 5:00 pm Saturday...gee, all public transportation is shut down as of 12 noon! The storm seems to be losing strength, lost its eye, may only be a tropical storm by the time it hits us. However, because its so huge and slow, the storm surge will not likely be less.

how long do they wait before calling you in? or do the full timers have it covered so far?

They contacted us by Phone and email on Thursday night. I was moving crates of water and supplies from 10AM - 11:30 PM. I think some Govt officials are trying to not get surprised and unprepared like the snow storm last winter. However my boss was upset because I wasn't at work to help them administer the 8 barges and 3-80 ton cranes we have at work, plus moving supplies and heavy construction equipt! :p THe storm is predicted for 8 AM Sunday. If I wasnt volunteeering I'd be swimming at some protected cove like Orchard beach or Davenport Park in New Rochelle. It's great fun. I mey go to Coney Island beach early tomorrow.

Mandatory evacuation of coastal areas in NYC. Have to be out of there by 5:00 pm Saturday...gee, all public transportation is shut down as of 12 noon! ...
I guess that doesn't give those that wait til the last hour an option! :p At first it doesn't make much sense but people don't use their common sense either! Reminds me of the big snow that hit Chicago this winter, they were forecasting big numbers, the snow starts by 2/3pm & then those who leave work at 4/5 & are stranded by 6pm wonder why. :rolleyes:

No damage here. I already put my paphs, including the ones in bud, back outside...although the winds actually seem stronger now than during the storm. No damage, not even flooding in my basement, although there was damage in many areas around me. I was up all night hearing branches scraping my roof..finally fell asleep when the hurricane (by then a TS) actually passed through! But I think winds have been stronger in the aftermath than during the storm itself.

Apparently a bunch of Calgary firefighters and police were in New York for the World Police & Fire games, but most of the events had to be cancelled. The Calgary Police rugby team held an impromptu scrimmage game in Times Square on Saturday night in the pouring rain!

There were a bunch of Fire & Rescue people near the shelter on Friday, I didn't know what for. I'm sory their event was ppostponed/cancelled but I hope they had a good time in NYC. :)

Latest posts

Back