World issues

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
About 20 Minutes ago I heard a noise like strong winds and when I looked up I noticed the walls and columns swaying. Man I really need to make sure I eat lunch on time! :p - Turns out we had a magnitude 5.8 earthquake centered in Virginia 350 miles away (530 KM)!

Welcome to the Earthquake Club, Eric! Hope everyone is okay and there's little to no damage.

I was out at my place on the island. I felt a slight swaying in my chair...like my cat had pushed past it. At the same time, my mother in law downstairs in the rocker said the exact same thing. Neither of us had a cat behind us. The strange sensation repeated itself several times in about 30 seconds. Only later did we find out that this coincided with the time of the earthquake.

The feeling is weird and funny being swayed by an earthquake. But without the damages and stuff..! I hope everyone and everything is ok!

Always a strange sensation. I felt one while at work years ago in Montreal and my chair started rolling back from my desk on it's own. Good thing those we have don't last long.

Geez, it was only a 5.8.............Just hope you never have to endure a stronger one. They are never fun, and when you start worrying about your house falling down it gets downright scary. Being a west coaster, I do find it somewhat amusing to see the reactions to this event. You would have thought that a nuke had just hit the east coast!

This was my 4th - one in KY about 30 years ago, a couple when on business in Japan (I was in a rattly, corrugated steel building for one - now THAT was rough), and now this one.

Made my chair move a bit, and a stained-glass piece rattled against the window, but frankly I feel more movement when the load in the washer is uneven during the spin cycle.

Being a west coaster, I do find it somewhat amusing to see the reactions to this event. You would have thought that a nuke had just hit the east coast!
I guess the difference is that they're much more commonplace out here and we're used to them. Also, our building codes require certain seizmic standards, something that probably isn't the case on the East Coast. It's my guess that most buildings (particularly the older ones) wouldn't meet the seizmic standards in placfe on the West Coast. So they have every reason to be concerned.

OMG - here we go again - a 6.9 hit no.Peru today.
....Made my chair move a bit, ... but frankly I feel more movement when the load in the washer is uneven during the spin cycle.
:rollhappy::rollhappy::clap:

I guess the difference is that they're much more commonplace out here and we're used to them. Also, our building codes require certain seizmic standards, something that probably isn't the case on the East Coast. It's my guess that most buildings (particularly the older ones) wouldn't meet the seizmic standards in placfe on the West Coast. So they have every reason to be concerned.
Correct, if the epicenter is NYC, buildings could very well tumble and resulting in alot more causalities. :sob:

At least in NYC, buildings have been constructed with earthquakes in mind. If you look at the Manhattan skyline, you'll see that all the skyscrapers are clustered way downtown, close to the southern end, and in midtown. That's because that is where buildings can be constructed directly on bedrock. When an earthquake hits, buildings and bedrock will vibrate together, and won't collapse. Don't forget, while they are very rare compared to the west coast, they can happen here...minor ones happen all the time. But sometimes they are major-one of the most devastating earthquakes in US history was on the east coast- Charleston, SC. And the New Madrid earthquake in the earlier 1800's redirected the Mississippi river!

is the latter the one that hit the region around kentucky/tennesee and thereabouts? I heard that it was one of the worst earthquakes to hit north america but there were so few people living there that there was little loss of life and property. i've heard that today it would be devastating

We tend to forget our past very quickly! :( Earthquakes in the East, tornadoes killing many in the South, Tsunamis in Hawaii, all old news in the USA.

Latest posts

Back