working Disa photos (was 8 reasons to visit S. Africa)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are some pictures I took over the weekend. These are from up top on Table Mountain (which does get snow now and then). Plants are growing along a stream bank. It looks like they are growing in moss but this isn't so. While the seed germinate in the moss, the plant quickly settle in the sandy/rocky substrate beneath it.

There is a great deal of variation in the colour and shape of the flowers. Most have lovely firm upright stems. I took one of the photos using a flash so you can see the difference... These flowers are naturally glowing with rich colour.

And there they are! See how bright they are? Take that Phrag. bessae!
theretheyare.jpg

Here is a patch of orange Disa uniflora. Notice the stockiness of the plants. The flower stems need absolutely no support to remain upright---like many of the hybrids do.
orangeform_insitu.jpg

These flowers are more orange. This isn't because they have faded in the sun or were older.
orangeform.jpg

This is a photo of a deep red form that was growing there. I would say 1 in 10 plants are this deep and bright a red.
redform.jpg

This is a photo of the deep red form taken with a flash. It washes the colour out a bit...
redformflash.jpg

This one has long droopy sepals. A nice colour though.
droopysepals.jpg

This flower has a very different shape with a wider dorsal sepal. (I don't like it but it is interesting.)
wideform.jpg

Disa plants growing out of the stream bank. Can you spot the tiny seedlings growing on the moss?
plantsinsitu1.jpg

To see Disa uniflora, the best time to visit is mid February.

Enjoy!

It is Table Mountain Sandstone---the mountain is so special it got its own rock named after it :) Basically, it is a very quartzy crumbly sand stone. If it wasn't for plant tannins and acids seeping into it it would near colourless. The rock is neutral in pH but the water can be as low as pH 3 at times. Some sodium salt leaches out of the rock as the Table Mountain Sandstone ranges were under sea level at some point (you can find mollusc fossils inbedded in the rock).

Hope that answers your question.

I'm trying to grow Disa in clear plastic polyethelene glycol tubs. I have some coarse gravel in the bottom where some live spagnum moss is stuffed ontop of. The plant is planted in the live moss (like in nature) and is free to extend its roots into the gravel. The drainage holes are about half an inch from the bottom of the pot so the pot always holds water. The plants are watered every day so the water in the bottom is flushed with clean new water daily. So far I have not only failed to kill my Disas this way (a first for me) but they have actually multiplied. (Where is the hooray-lets-throw-a-party emoticon?)

I don't think the rock matters as much as lots of clean water and free drainage (which the coarse sandstone allows). I like the live spagnum moss as it is less likely to compact or break out in fungus.

tt4n

Or just change the water regularly. These orchids seem so sensitive to bacterial rot and fungus etc... and these find stagnant water an excellent party place. In the wilds, the pH of the water is so low that bacteria and fungi can't thrive. Also, many of the tannins and polyphenols the surrounding vegetation leaches out has antibacterial properties---hence my decision to grow my plants in live spagnum moss.

'Live' sphagnum is not commonly sold here. Although someone recently posted that even the dried one is alive. :confused: So far mine are surviving; I've only lost 2/12; so my success rate has improved 1000% since my last attempt.

Fabulous! Thanks for these pics Tyrone! I had 6 Disas - 5 various colours of Disa uniflora, and one hybrid. I got them almost a year ago, and have so far only lost one (one of the species), but that was because it was so vigorous, that it bloomed before it had a chance to make a tuber! All were seedlings when I got them. I'm hoping for some flowers this year!

Latest posts

Back