8 reasons to visit South Africa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are some pictures I took over the weekend. These are from up top on Table Mountain (which does get snow now and then). Plants are growing along a stream bank. It looks like they are growing in moss but this isn't so. While the seed germinate in the moss, the plant quickly settle in the sandy/rocky substrate beneath it.

There is a great deal of variation in the colour and shape of the flowers. Most have lovely firm upright stems. I took one of the photos using a flash so you can see the difference... These flowers are naturally glowing with rich colour.

And there they are! See how bright they are? Take that Phrag. bessae!
file.php

Here is a patch of orange Disa uniflora. Notice the stockiness of the plants. The flower stems need absolutely no support to remain upright---like many of the hybrids do.
file.php

These flowers are more orange. This isn't because they have faded in the sun or were older.
file.php

This is a photo of a deep red form that was growing there. I would say 1 in 10 plants are this deep and bright a red.
file.php

This is a photo of the deep red form taken with a flash. It washes the colour out a bit...
file.php

This one has long droopy sepals. A nice colour though.
file.php

This flower has a very different shape with a wider dorsal sepal. (I don't like it but it is interesting.)
file.php

Disa plants growing out of the stream bank. Can you spot the tiny seedlings growing on the moss?
file.php

To see Disa uniflora, the best time to visit is mid February.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Alas, even though I am also denied the authority to download the attachments, I wonder how your flowers would pale in the shadow of the exalted besseae if they were planted side by side! :poke:

PS, I've also started growing Disas!!!

I wish I could see the photos too!!! And I wish I could start growing Disas...!!!!:)

Tyrone - you've posted pics before, what's changed?
I bet we're all getting the same thing ..... not registered. I still think Imageshack is the easiest to use but some have trouble (like an individual in NY). You can open an account in Photobucket & upload them. The nice part is you have photos stored in another location if something happens to your computer or files. What I don't like is it will take longer to make the post because you can only copy & paste 1 photo at a time, which means logging in & out of each site, each time. If anyone knows a way around this LET ME KNOW!

Um, If you click on all the photos you want to generate code for and then Copy all the IMF images, you can paste them as often as you like and delete out the ones you don't want in a particular thread! :poke: from an individual in NY!

Um, If you click on all the photos you want to generate code for and then Copy all the IMF images, you can paste them as often as you like and delete out the ones you don't want in a particular thread! :poke: from an individual in NY!
I haven't tried that recently because in the past when I did, when I pasted I got the last copy, that was it. :( I'm sure it's me, I have little computer savy, there should be a way!

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to see the photos unless I register :-(

me neither... I tried to login in the forum, but for some reason my membership has been cancelled or just do not work anymore... :(

Back