Winter flowering Ascda.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I read the adverts that say, " flowers twice a year ", I think YES in the ideal conditions like the tropics etc, BUT, this one IS flowering for the second time. Approximately 6 months from the last time. Its not as good as the Spring/Summer flowering but still quite nice.
Ascda Su-Fun Beauty 'Orange Belle'
index_001-18.jpg

Outside at the moment at Midnite is about 10c ( can get down to -7c ) but the wind at near Gale force with we believe worse to come. I'm keeping an average temp in the orchid house of about 15c at the moment. Fortunately our winters are not as bad as yours. My wife has a friend in Edmonton Canada and she up dates us....no way could I live there in the winter.

This is one of the best clones on the market for beginners and those who love vandas, but not the space they require. It's a cutie for sure.

This is one of the best clones on the market for beginners and those who love vandas, but not the space they require. It's a cutie for sure.

I fully agree. I love, love, love mine, and yours is of course nice being the same clone. It did its thing more often when I had a large west-facing window for it, but it's still doing well in an east. It can bloom more than twice a year if it's really happy.

Candace, you must have some Ginormas vandas, my flowering size plants aren't all that much bigger than the Ascdas and don't take up any more room.
2 pics taken recently of mine.
DSCN0675.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

Roy, your vandas are tiny. I don't know if it's the breeding of your plants or culture. I don't have many anymore, but they were at least 3ft. tall and I've seen some in person(not mine) that are in the 4ft. tall range and similarly very wide due to keike growths. I imported some bare root vandas from Thailand that were twice the size of yours.

fine flowers and color, Roy. Give your Vanda family some years, you will see them grow up to the V. teres (or hookeriana or hybrid?? ) in the bakground!!! :):) Jean

Roy, your vandas are tiny. I don't know if it's the breeding of your plants or culture. I don't have many anymore, but they were at least 3ft. tall and I've seen some in person(not mine) that are in the 4ft. tall range and similarly very wide due to keike growths. I imported some bare root vandas from Thailand that were twice the size of yours.

Candace, understand what you say and yes they can become huge BUT the Vandas I bought are Roberts Delight Varieties 'Black', 'Blue Somsri', 'Crownfox Bigred', Fuchs Delight 'Noi' & Bangsai Queen 'Cerise Royal' and they are not as big in growth as some plus if you look at the Vandas on the RF Orchids display his Vandas were not large plants for the flowering and quality. I believe that by the time my plants get to the size you quote many years will have gone by. The way the plants are growing the Ascdas will outgrow the Vandas. Top cut the plants and start again, no more size problems.

Can I add here, there is a Vanda Pakchong Blue ( Manop is the variety I bought ) which has a sky to deep blue flower between 3 and 4 inches and reasonable count that flowers many times a year in almost any conditions and flowers from a plant half or less the size of a flowering size Ascda.
By flowering size here I mean a mature plant capable of producing a good spike. If I could the pic I would post it.
Vandas don't need to be like Californian Redwoods.

Good for you Roy. All the successful vanda growers I've seen and know of have many massive plants. Including hanging roots some reach at least 6 ft. in length.

This is what I consider an typical adult vanda. Not me or my plant;) Many of these can't be top-cut. Lots of rothchildiana hybrids don't grow side/axial roots.

Vanda1.jpg

That is what the vandas look like at Fuchs and other mid-south florida growers. First time I went to miami, vendors on corners had these! :mad:

Yeah, nothing like having ideal conditions to work with, not that I'm diminishing the value of knowledge and culture in the slightest.

That’s a really fine-looking plant though, Candace! There are some hanging in the aisles at Oak Hill where getting around the roots is a pleasant chore, and then there are the smaller sales plants growing and blooming happily in pots with large chunks of medium—both served as pep talks to me when I first visited years ago. The smaller guys in the pots let me know I could give it a shot, and the big ones gave me another level to aspire to when we can afford to give them a more optimal home. Even indoors though I like wooden slat baskets.

Nice suggestion on the Pakchong Blue, Roy—I almost got that one, even when I was living in Michigan, but ended up “rescuing” an Ascda. Princess Mikasa instead. With minimal room and a paucity of high light spots they pretty much fill the same need. Do you have a Vanda coerulescens by any chance? It’s a longtime favorite that I’ve admired from afar.

Last edited:
Yep, thats a nice plant Candace and I would like to think I could have them like that too but transporting plants like that become a worry. As you call this a mature plant, it wouldn't take up any more room that an Ascda width wise, just vertically.

Nice suggestion on the Pakchong Blue, Roy—I almost got that one, even when I was living in Michigan, but ended up “rescuing” an Ascda. Princess Mikasa instead. With minimal room and a paucity of high light spots they pretty much fill the same need. Do you have a Vanda coerulescens by any chance? It’s a longtime favorite that I’ve admired from afar.

No, don't have a V. coerulescens. They are available and very nice but not one I've considered as yet.
The Princess Mikasa is one on my future order list and have a friend with one with some large off shoots and one of them with my name on it.

Nice work Roy , shows you can even grow them in Vic by providing rite conditions.I must get myself a glass house room is only issue but if i wait a few more years sydney will be warm and wet enuf :):)
Cheers Manfred

Back