An out of season semi alba labiata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A Cattleya labiata flowering in summer? They’re supposed to be day length sensitive and only flower during short days, usually autumn. The five month holiday in wales last winter in less than ideal conditions must have messed with its time clock. Anyway the flower is nice for a unselected seedling ( Antonio paccione x cooksoniae) and the scent is wonderful.
IMG_1367.jpegIMG_1368.jpeg

David

They are supposed to be Fall bloomers, but there are no guarantees. Things potentially seem to be more consistent under lights with some species but who knows?
But if you are growing with the sunny weather as your light source, it would seem to me that Mother Nature can fool with, or adjust, a plants internal clock.
You have some plants that are fall bloomers, others are spring bloomers in their native habitats. But I have run into situations with Southern Hemisphere plants where they can be more prone to bloom slightly out of season.
I think of Bulbophyllum Elizabeth Anne. She always blooms in October. But once every few years I have flowers the last week of September. Even once on into November. But 90% of the time it is October.
Or I recall too that Cattleya bowringiana always blooms for me from mid September to mid October. That was true in NYC, Fort Myers and Michigan. A shift from September to October was probably sunlight related. If the light is proper when bowringiana forms buds, it blooms in September. If you run into less light, unusual cloudy weather at bud formation, it could be pushed back a few weeks into October. However, one year in Florida I did experience several small growths that developed and bloomed in February!! That is totally out of character for bowringiana!
But my point is, orchids do not read the book, they can bloom out of season once in a while.

David, don’t you think it is a complex interplay of day length, light intensity, temperature, and water/nutrient availability that triggers inflorescence in at least some of the Cattleyas? A change in one might not be enough.

If your weather has been anything like ours in Nottingham then I'm not surprised it's flowering now! Feels decidedly autumnal here!

Thanks for the comments.
All my catts have had three different growing conditions over the past few months due to the house move so I’m not surprised that there are some anomalies with flowering. I think I can see another labiata clone producing early buds now I’m looking for it.

For my money, it is just the best unifoliate Cattleyas around! Oh sure, people may be partial to other species but it was the first Cattleya species that I took an interest in.
My first 2 orchid purchases back in ‘73 were an old Blc. Bonanza and a Cattleya labiata.
They came from the old business called Lager & Hurrell in New Jersey.

Nice classic cattleya flower, the first seen by those European collectors almost 200 years ago that started the orchid craze.

As mentioned above, there are many factors that can trigger the blooming of a labiata, but in my experience, they can bloom even if they were kept one to two long nights in a trunk , basement or dark room. Your move is likely the suspected causative incentive for the plant(s).

Nice classic cattleya flower, the first seen by those European collectors almost 200 years ago that started the orchid craze.

As mentioned above, there are many factors that can trigger the blooming of a labiata, but in my experience, they can bloom even if they were kept one to two long nights in a trunk , basement or dark room. Your move is likely the suspected causative incentive for the plant(s).
I agree, for C labiata that’s it. I have had the same experience as well.

All my catts have had three different growing conditions over the past few months due to the house move ...
No wonder if their natural clock is slightly confused, David! When I think of the mess the shift to summertime makes to.my poor body and mind...I can't fathom the stress your poor flowers must have had to go thorough.... and, yet, they still produce so gorgeous beauties as the one in question. That's not only to wonder, but a near miracle! 😉

Latest posts

Back