Winston Churchill 'Indomitable'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reivilos

Reaction score
11825662135_9f217642c1_z_d.jpg

More cultivars pictures on this (nice) JP site.

I just saw this clone on Ebay for 450.00.
Great blooming BTW

A beautiful bloom!
A fantastic old hybrid and a great clone, but I am amazed that anyone would think that it should realize a price of this order! There are a bunch of newer clones generated from selfings of 'Indomitable' which are every bit as good and sell for a fraction of the price.

I just saw this clone on Ebay for 450.00.
Great blooming BTW
I see what your talking about...

A beautiful bloom!
A fantastic old hybrid and a great clone, but I am amazed that anyone would think that it should realize a price of this order! There are a bunch of newer clones generated from selfings of 'Indomitable' which are every bit as good and sell for a fraction of the price.

That's a tough question, especially when the offer is scarce and/or that goods are not interchangeable... Sometimes the seller is just gauging the bidders (e.g the "thaianum album" offer :D) because he has no idea of the price, or that he has nasty things in mind [...].
Now, is a proven breeder worth the same as one of its selfing? Well is depends what you have in mind and what the selfings look like. For instance, would you buy Paph. Skip Bartlett 'White Pepper' or Paph. Skip Bartlett 'White Pepper' x self ?
Collector items are not consumer goods. Their prices don't make any sense, especially when the seller is unwilling to sell quickly.

Trithor

I think it is important to remember that 'Indominable' has been and still is
a great parent (arguably one of the best). Clones arising from its selfing may not be good parents. When you consider the time and money involved in raising paphs to blooming size a great track record is worth a lot.

I think 450.00 USD is reasonable.

Very nice blooming, I bet this is a multigrowth plant, single growth divisions do not bloom this nice. Often the dorsal doesn't lock in right and the petal edges reflex just enough to give a poor presentation. This normally disappears on well grown specimens. Well done. Nice photo.

I have seen divisions of 'Indominatable' as inexpensive as $250, but someone snapped that one up before I could.

Divisions of awarded complexes are a strange market. When you want a specific clone, for example 'Indominatable', you might have to search for months (or longer) before you find one available. Then the price can be all over the map, usually twice as much as what you are willing to pay. Then, when you have spare divisions of an awarded complex, they seem to sit forever until that one customer comes along and gives you what you think it is worth. If you are in a hurry, and need the money or need the bench space, sometimes you let them go really cheap, just to get them gone.

Its a fickle market.

Wow, I guess it pays to be nice to fellow orchid collectors. I got an original(?) division from a vendor who was selling next to me; one that he got from his father's collection that is in bud now. Sounds like maybe I should self it and share the wealth...

Wow, I guess it pays to be nice to fellow orchid collectors. I got an original(?) division from a vendor who was selling next to me; one that he got from his father's collection that is in bud now. Sounds like maybe I should self it and share the wealth...

Of course you should. Better yet grow the crap out of it and share the divisions for next to nothing.:wink:

Back