White tiger~

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, I've never seen one of these before, very nice. Thanks for posting the pictures!

20 years from now there will be a much larger and stronger population of P. tigrinum albas if you make outcrosses to several strong growing normal colored forms now, rather than being short-sighted and only selfing it.

Could Yang also cross his plant with pollen from a different alba plant to avoid selfing , yet keep the resulted seedlings strong

20 years from now there will be a much larger and stronger population of P. tigrinum albas if you make outcrosses to several strong growing normal colored forms now, rather than being short-sighted and only selfing it.

That is true, but how many albas are out there? You can always do the outcrosses later on after the population of albas is increased!

Tom

Funny how things come around, in a posting on Ramons P.tigrinum I asked the question if anyone had seen the alba version !!!!!!
Now I know what it looks like...............WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks all for your nice coments. We will do our best to propogate it. It's good idea to make cross with normal tigrinum :) Thanks!

Dear Yang,
the plant was described in China 2003 as a distinct species
Paphiopedilum smaragdinum Z.J. LIU & S.C. CHEN in Journal of Wuhan Botanical Research 21(6): 489; 2003

2005 the new combination was published. So the correct name is now
Paphiopedilum tigrinum forma smaragdinum (Z.J. LIU & S.C. CHEN)GRUSS
published in Die Orchidee 56(1): 071; 2005

I think smaragdinum is really a better name for this extraordinary form then alba

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back