Quantcast

White discoloration—physical damage or something else?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Ernieg96

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I received this Paph. philippinense in the mail last month. It had very minor shipping damage, nothing to be concerned about. However, I noticed where the leaves got creased, the tissue has become soft and white. Is this something to be worried about?

76A4764C-9D94-4F99-8A14-8F48DE3CD60E.jpeg CEA8A754-5094-4C50-BF5F-D1AECE0CA277.jpeg

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Creasing results in vascular damage, so the ends of the leaves will likely weaken with age. The white stuff is new to me, unless it is an egg case for an insect.

Ernieg96

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Creasing results in vascular damage, so the ends of the leaves will likely weaken with age. The white stuff is new to me, unless it is an egg case for an insect.
Up close it appears that the white stuff is under the “skin” of the leaf. There’s another spot like it on the other leaf that got creased in-transit too.

eds

Reaction score
Could the cuticle of the leaf have become separated from the other leaf tissue with this damage? It looks almost like an air bubble.

Ernieg96

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Could the cuticle of the leaf have become separated from the other leaf tissue with this damage? It looks almost like an air bubble.
It certainly feels like a bubble!

fibre

Reaction score
No worry about this. IMO it is a physical damage of the upper part of the cuticula.

Latest posts