Which of you Aussies lives closest to Melborne?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I'm taking a fast trip to Alice Springs next week. I don't think any of our posting Aussies live near Alice, but on the way back I'll have an 18 hour layover in Melbourne. Any up for a visit?

I think stone or Roy are the only victorians here, they might be up for it.

I think so too. I'm not sure either are very central to Melbourne though but I will let them speak for themselves.

Sounds like a whirlwind trip. I was at Uluru this time last year. Nice time of year to see it.

I love Alice Springs, more accurately the area around The Alice. BUT! Alice Springs is one of the very few places in Australia that I'd issue a travel warning.

Never will you find a more laid-back and accommodating bunch of people than the locals around Alice Springs. One currency is the Australian dollar but a more favored currency is cartons of beer.

The vast majority of tourists/travelers have a great time in the "Territory" but there are a few things that even locals do and don't do: I won't create a long list but a couple of things to consider: stay away from the Todd river at night, probably better to take a taxi at night even for short journeys and best to stay away from large groups of drunken people. Ask the locals where to or not go.

If your looking for a meal, I recommend Overlanders Steakhouse http://www.overlanders.com.au/ for a great feed in a quirky Australiana setting, their service can be hit or miss but it"s an interesting experience. You could try their 2kg rump steaks.

Mick

Yes Rick, You're more than welcome to visit. (a couple of hours from Mel. airport) PM me your details if you like.

Mike

Sorry I missed all you guys. Just got back in the States yesterday.

I was participating in a men's retreat, and we had pretty much a total communications blackout during the event (not to mention I had no working cell phone while in Australia).

Needless to say, I had a wonderful time down under, and will have even more incentive to make it over again for a much longer visit when I can get it some proper visits.

Such a pitty! I had hired you a Ferrari to get around, a fully catered 6 course banquet and a baby Koala to take home:D
So how was the desert?

Such a pitty! I had hired you a Ferrari to get around, a fully catered 6 course banquet and a baby Koala to take home:D
So how was the desert?

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Of coarse the grandkids were wondering where the koala was when I got back too!

I thought the desert was great. I grew up in the Southwest US, and roamed around the deserts quite a bit when I was younger. Things were both different and the same in Northern Territory.

One thing about Aus', you can drive or fly for hours and not leave a state, WA in particular. Wide open spaces of sfa if you don't appreciate ancient landscape. Happy you liked the place.

One thing about Aus', you can drive or fly for hours and not leave a state, WA in particular. Wide open spaces of sfa if you don't appreciate ancient landscape. Happy you liked the place.

Not sure if our northern neighbours know what sfa means Roy:rollhappy:

Don't worry it's such a popular phrase it was easy to Google the true meaning:poke::poke:

If you want to see some major sfa then check out the deserts around Trona or Las Vegas. Even Death Valley has better scenery.
Alice is a virtual garden spot in comparison.

Rick, one thing even Aussies fail to understand is that when the rains come to the Aussie outback, the landscape can turn into a floral paradise. Spring time thru WA & the red centre & many other arid areas just come alive. Its a joy to behold.
Did you manage to tackle a Darwin Stubbie ????

Latest posts

Back