Where do we go with legal imports?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the papers were right, phyto procedure took 2 weeks!!!! Costs are high among the stars....I wonder how these dead plants passed through the phyto examination.(????
So sorry about this. I'm sure this was definitely not a small lost of money. Can you get your money back or new plants
I can t
All the papers were right, phyto procedure took 2 weeks!!!! Costs are high among the stars....I wonder how these dead plants passed through the phyto examination.(????)
View attachment 43666View attachment 43667View attachment 43668
Two robinsonianums, 300 usd (150 usd/plant, checked before, pot grown plants, not collected), cites+phyto+shipping 250 usd, for nothing....and nobody bears responsibility...no phyto authorities nor dhl. Everybody has its own explanation. There is only jackass in this story, me...

I can t

Two robinsonianums, 300 usd (150 usd/plant, checked before, pot grown plants, not collected), cites+phyto+shipping 250 usd, for nothing....and nobody bears responsibility...no phyto authorities nor dhl. Everybody has its own explanation. There is only jackass in this story, me...
That is so annoying. I wanted to buy some sanderianums over seas as nobody has them in the USA, larger size, but I was scared of something like this happened. Hope it all works out and if not I hope it goes better next time or you can find them close by

That is so annoying. I wanted to buy some sanderianums over seas as nobody has them in the USA, larger size, but I was scared of something like this happened. Hope it all works out and if not I hope it goes better next time or you can find them close by
I had few posts in the past and some asked me about of legality of the plants. So i can answer now, no more legal way to buy any plant in future. Expensive, sloooooooooooow and noone can give any warrany to you to get your plants alive.

I had few posts in the past and some asked me about of legality of the plants. So i can answer now, no more legal way to buy any plant in future. Expensive, sloooooooooooow and noone can give any warrany to you to get your plants alive.
Sorry Istvan. A number of experts think we are entering a time of de-globalization with less secure international shipping. That will just make the movement of orchid plants around the world worse. We may end up only having the orchids that are available in our own region. It is sad for orchids, but consider when it is food stuffs and other essentials as well.

So sorry Istvan. I have not imported any orchids in almost 40 years! Why? Dead plants were common. Again why?
Back in the mid to late 80’s, we in the Northeast US had two ports of entry for orchids. One was Miami, the other in JFK in New York. Both had their good and bad points.
At that point in time the plants were “gassed” with who knows what. Gassed in an attempt to kill insects and pathogens. Some agents at both points of entry were light on the gassing, others were known to be over zealous!
Then they needed to be picked up at the point of entry by a Broker, some one we had to hire as our agent to bring them through “Plant Quarantine”. Sometimes they stay sprayed, wet, in a loosely closed box for a few hours waiting for our broker to pick them up. Sometimes days. Loses were often 20-30%. When new agents at Plant Quarantine were hired, so many were over zealous! Loses became a staggering 70-90%. It just was no longer worth it.
I have no idea about the process today. Which country might be good or bad. But I would be terrified to order orchids from another country.
Maybe you plants had a similar experience?
Again, so sorry!!

Carter and Holmes occasionally has nice size sanderianums at fair price…..nice quality. Just a thought.

I can t

The next time you do this, ask the shipper to add insurance to the shipping. If the plants die like this, you can file a claim with DHL. In the USA, you can track the box as it goes through customs inspection. I don't know how that works where you are. Here plants go to a special area and DHL knows where to take the boxes. Plant inspections here typically last 2-3 days. Also, your box doesn't look opened. Sometimes the inspectors only check the documents and not the plants, but not always.

Separately, and off topic, good for you getting a source for this species, and I am happy that the typical crowd of haters hasn't chimed in yet.

Best,

Are you going to the WOC in February? I got a presale list from one of the larger Paph nurseries and they are offering blooming size sanderianum from what looks to me to be great crosses for $120. I am assured CITIES and PHYTO are being given to take the plants home.

There are even problems with shipping here within Europe! Parcels are routinely lost be all the main carriers in Spain. Tracking numbers are relevant only within country of origin, and often don't get updated by the receiving dispatch centers.

I agree with the de-globalisation predictions. It's already less dependable than pre-COVID times. ALL trade is based upon dependability, so as that wobbles and crumbles, we're looking at either massive transformation or the end of the line. Bah!

On the other hand, maybe this will enable local labs to crop up again due to reduced competition from the exporters.

Latest posts

Back