What's the dye in K-Lite?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALToronto

I thought I'd control the mold problem in my K-Lite concentrate solution by pouring a bit of H2O2 in it. Maybe 2 tablespoons in 600-650 ml of solution. Well, the next day the solution is colourless and cloudy, with small bits of blue scum floating on top. I'm dumping it, but I was wondering what chemical reactions I unleashed with the peroxide.

If the dye is ultramarine blue, what would the aluminum do to the plants?

It's either FD&C Blue #1 or #2 - food coloring - standard in fertilizers.

It remains blue in an acidic solution, but turns clear in a basic one. If you get it on your skin, and don't want to look like an emerging Navi, a little household ammonia makes the color disappear.

The dye is there so you don't forget that you already added that fertilizer. Also discourages people from drinking it. ;)

It remains blue in an acidic solution, but turns clear in a basic one. If you get it on your skin, and don't want to look like an emerging Navi, a little household ammonia makes the color disappear.

Does it turn darker as the pH gos down? When I made you concentrate it went from blue to almost purple.

The dye could act as a weak metals chelator.(??) Not necessarily added for that purpose though. As Leo said its a visual tracer.

Some organic dyes have very strong chelation capability. So this may be worth looking up.

Eric, it is a visual tracer. Sure it can be eliminated, but for those of use that use an injector, it lets us know when it's time to refill the tank, and for folks with failing memories, it reminds them of whether or not they've mixed in the fertilizer in the first place.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but now that I am towards the bottom of the jar, the dye seems much stronger when I mix it.

I remember Ray talking in the very beginning of K-Lite about the nonuniformity of the granular mix and the need to both keep it mixed as well as use enough of it to make a concentrate to work from, rather than thinking you could take a teaspoon and be getting a standardized mix each time. Subsequently, I have always vigorously shaken my bottle of granular mix each time before I make up a bottle of concentrate. I don't think I see any change in the amount of dye at the bottom compare to the top. I guess I am never really working with the bottom or the top because it is all mixed up each time I take out 50 gm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have always carefully mixed my jar of granular K-Lite mix each time I make up a new bottle of concentrate. I think Ray cautioned us about non-uniformity and to be careful about thinking that a teaspoon from the top was going to be the same as a teaspoon from the bottom. I don't notice a change in the dye concentration as I move through a container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You need to check if the dissolved concentrate is looking darker. If the dye is added as a powder, it can segregate out of a mixture of different sized particles, whether or not you shake the bottle. Finest particles will be on the outside of the bottle after shaking.

Ray, would it help to throw in some desiccant packets in the bottle?

I have considered that, but all that does is add to the cost, and it is expensive to get packs that have a greater affinity to water than the fertilizer ingredients!

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back