K-Lite concentrated solution

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALToronto

I made a 4000 ppm N solution by dissolving 30 g K-Lite in 1 L RO water. I've been keeping it on the countertop in the kitchen, out of sunlight but not refrigerated. After two weeks, I have 2/3 of the bottle left, but now there are cloudy billows floating on the bottom of the bottle. I realize it's bacteria, but is the concentrate still ok to use? Or are the critters devouring all the nitrogen?

If I need to throw it out, should I keep the concentrate in the fridge from now on?

Assuming it is bacteria...Maybe next time mix the fertilizer into boiling hot water and keep it sealed as much as possible. Or add a small amount of bleach.

I don't know if the bacteria hurts the solution.

If your sure its bacteria and not precipitation. Microwave it for several mins.

Oh, I'm sure it's bacteria. I know what precipitation looks like, and now there are little black dots in the centre of these cloudy mini-colonies. I will try microwaving. Should I heat to boiling? Should I store it in the fridge after that?

I really like using the concentrate - even measuring out 30 g (32, actually), I wasn't sure if I was getting an even distribution of the different ingredients. The fact that some of the minerals are in the form of coarse crystals, and others are a fine powder, I really wonder if the content of one 30 g batch are the same as the next. I had trouble dissolving even that amount in a litre of water - it took several hours to get a clear liquid.

As I posted elsewhere I purchased an inexpensive coffee bean grinder and blitzed the K-Lite to a fine powder. This makes sure the components are evenly distributed.

As I posted elsewhere I purchased an inexpensive coffee bean grinder and blitzed the K-Lite to a fine powder. This makes sure the components are evenly distributed.

Thats a good idea Consettbay. I just purchased a Mr Coffee grinder for right at $20 (to replace our old burnt out one). I need this one for beans, and didn't think about buying 2 at the time:eek:

Coffee grinder is a great idea. Here is an even better idea: Ray, how about putting the K-Lite through a blender before packaging it? I would gladly pay more for a homogeneous powder.

I make a 10% concentrate of K-Lite by mixing 50 g of the powder with RO water to add up to 500 g. Yes, this requires a scale, which isn't that expensive. In round numbers, it is a little short of 3 tablespoons into 500 mL of water.

I keep this concentrated solution in a nearby refrigerator when I am not using. It is always completely clear. I think the refrigeration really helps keep it this way. The 500 mL of solution is enough for 2-3 weeks so my solution is never older than this.

Adding 15 mL of this 10% concentrate into 1 gallon of water becomes a final fertilizer solution of about 50 ppm N.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I ended up receiving the advice to put the 1 lb bag into a gallon of water (or 1 gal finished solution), and have been using this for quite a few months and I don't have any bacteria growth, no sediment, all is clear. I keep it in a closet at room temp...

yes

I often get mixed up with solutions/ppm's etc when the instructions tell you to mix up 'so much volume/weight' per 'gallon/s' water, and have to remind myself that it's 'chemical and water to equal finished desired gallonage of solution'

how do you use the diluted mixture? tsp/gallon or?

well, unless I wrote it down wrong, etc from what ray told me, if I used 2.9 oz for 5 gals (five gallon bucket), that would be around 75 ppm N. That ends up being 5.8 Tablespoons per 5 gallon bucket, or about 1.16 Tablespoons per gallon. I usually end up using a teaspoon or less per gallon of water

I did notice, though when I picked up the jug to read the rates i'd written on it, that there was a little grey/brown sediment on the bottom :eek: , but i'm not worried about it. i've seen 50 gallon drums of super-concentrated fertilizer with mold and junk growing on top and had fine plants result from it's use ... * though to be fair, I wasn't fertilizing any of 'my' prized expensive orchids with it

Last edited:
well, unless I wrote it down wrong, etc from what ray told me, if I used 2.9 oz for 5 gals (five gallon bucket), that would be around 75 ppm N. That ends up being 5.8 Tablespoons per 5 gallon bucket, or about 1.16 Tablespoons per gallon. I usually end up using a teaspoon or less per gallon of water

I did notice, though when I picked up the jug to read the rates i'd written on it, that there was a little grey/brown sediment on the bottom :eek: , but i'm not worried about it. i've seen 50 gallon drums of super-concentrated fertilizer with mold and junk growing on top and had fine plants result from it's use

Thanks that is good info.

Back