What is Your Opinion of Mega Thrive?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I have bought one bottle a while ago and just used up.
I am not sure if I want to continue on using this when I don't really see any benefits at all and I can just use regular fertilizer as I have so far.

I guess I already have an answer, but those of you who use this product consistently, please talk about it here. :)

Thanks!

It has little bit of Nitrogen and some Boron and Molybdenum.
I was thinking the same about Boron, which is also found in my tap water that I use to water plants with, and I read Boron can be quite bad.

Guaranteed Analysis: 3-0-3
Total Nitrogen (N)…………………….............3.0%
0.01% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
2.99% Urea Nitrogen
Soluble Potash (K2O)…………………...….…3.0%
Boron (B)……………………………………........0.32%
Molybdenum (Mo) ………………………….0.10%

Hmmmm? Some of the stuff I boost my fertiliser with. With the ten times dilution in fertiliser that we operate with some of us, I cannot see that a tenfold increase in boron could be a problem. It seems to lack manganese though.
I would not spend my money on it, but guess that some can have good use of it and visible effect on plant health.
Regarding the urea, I have been running on a urea rich fertiliser for a year now without seeing any bad effects. Could be because the fertiliser is contaminated with nitrate from calcium nitrate? Two years ago I changed from K-lite exclusively to a mix with urea and noticed a rapid and visible improvement in color mainly. K-lite produced yellowish plants at my place, while urea gave the right green color. Guess an addition of molybdenum could help on that.

In my opinion, the sole ingredients with possibility for "thriving" are phytohormons. This product includes phytohormons. But the effects of phytohormons are heavily dependent on the concentration and combination with other phytohormons- and there is no equal dose-effect-scope for every plant, it varies. One example are auxins. In relative low concentration, they promote growth, in higher concentrations, they inhibit growth. Therefore, such products are to vague (and expensive) for me, so I prefer dosing the sole phytohormons myself.

Hmmmm? Some of the stuff I boost my fertiliser with. With the ten times dilution in fertiliser that we operate with some of us, I cannot see that a tenfold increase in boron could be a problem. It seems to lack manganese though.

They say to specifically follow the directions exactly or it may cause damage.
Mix 6 tablespoons per gallon and apply every 2 weeks as a foliar spray.
Boron in 0.32%, so how many ppm of boron gets applied to the foliage every 2 weeks?

In my opinion, the sole ingredients with possibility for "thriving" are phytohormons. This product includes phytohormons. But the effects of phytohormons are heavily dependent on the concentration and combination with other phytohormons- and there is no equal dose-effect-scope for every plant, it varies. One example are auxins. In relative low concentration, they promote growth, in higher concentrations, they inhibit growth. Therefore, such products are to vague (and expensive) for me, so I prefer dosing the sole phytohormons myself.

They don't list hormones on the label. What's in it?

I only use a few drops every 2 weeks or less. If i can get ahold of some small bottles I can send samples if anyone wants. (up to like 6 people)

It does seem to stimulate root growth on my vandals and catts but not sure about paphs and phrag's. I used it this past summer when my plants were outside. But in my opinion, it is too expensive if you use it according to the manufacturers directions. I rcv'd a free sample after a purchase from Normans Orchids but would not pay for it.

The thing is the root growth would have happened anyway without the use of Mega Thrive.
You can not tell if it was stimulated by the use of this product unless you did comparison experiment with enough samples.

The thing is the root growth would have happened anyway without the use of Mega Thrive.
You can not tell if it was stimulated by the use of this product unless you did comparison experiment with enough samples.

That's another important point!
I think there is some kind of placebo-effect when using a special "thriving" kind-of-panacea. You want and expect to see positive growth, so you interpret any occuring positive appearances as result of this application, contemporaneously neglicting negative appearances.
You really need to have many plants, dividing in to two groups, one with and one without the application, and of course every group must be big enough to have some valuable results, minimizing the influence of coincidence. And then every plant must have the absolutely some conditions (expect the application of course), so you can refer the effects only to the application.

For us hobbyists, that's pretty impossible to do. So we need to work with personal experiences, which aren't so bad neither.

So true and agreed, but I just find all the unfounded "rumors" highly annoying as it just creates confusion.

Just like one of the most common ones like, "oh, I repotted them in the spring and the roots (or the plants themselves) were just taking off" or "I used this new pot and they are doing amazing" when the roots and plants activity explodes in the spring time in general anyway.

Oh, well...

Latest posts

Back