What is this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works for me. Goal was to get something vertebrate friendly, and all of those things are (in theory) quite safe. I sell a lot of plants to frog people, so can't use a lot of things.

Distance - an insect growth regulator, can't remember which class, but it has translaminar activity (it is a systemic, in other words). Enstar II would probably work, but I like systemics. It might only be available in large quantities, but you could come pick some up, Dot.

Azamax - active ingredient the same as in neem. I don't know if it is synthetic or purified. Neem oil has a long history of being less than consistently effective, so the standardized formula is more reliable. Azidarachtin is an anti-feedant and has a few other modes of action, I'm not sure anybody knows all of the things it does yet.

Spinosad is the active 'ingredient' in a beneficial bacterium - I buy it as 'Dr. Doom's Deadbug Brew', which is an evocative name. Worked well for me. I've heard it works on molluscs too, but I can't say that it ever has had that effect for me.

Anyway, if I did my research right, three different (maybe more) modes of action, so resistance should be minimal. Doesn't mean it can't happen... In my hands it did absolutely no damage to plants, I sprayed it on flowers and buds and everything in the barn, not a spot or blemish. The usual three times, a week apart.

Interesting Littlefrog. I did not know Spinosad. Maybe I shoud use it sometimes. Maybe I should aternate with Botanigard.

And which of you fine folks will be ensuring your Canadian friend has access to chemicals? :D

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob, for all our Canadians, check in at your local Grow Shop, the ones that cater to the marijuana growers. They may carry the Dr Doom product, or something similar since it is an extract from natural organisms. And while there, check out the lighting systems. They always have the newest in under lights technology. Orchids in general need about half the light that marijuana does, so you can use that as a guideline. That would be about right for most Cattleya.

My local Hydro Your Own, has been a great resource for the latest in under lights technology, and more interesting substrates for hydroponics or semi-hydroponics. Pretty good for the less toxic, more environmentally friendly insecticides. If you are ever in Kenosha, WI, its on Hwy 50 at county H.

Well, out of all mentioned products I found none, but I found one that contains Spinosad as the main active ingredient. I decided to give it a try, lets hope it works. I repoted all of the orchids, unfortunately I ran out of potting material, so I had to reuse some. I pray the reused potting material to make sure there were no more thrips in there, either way I will keep an eye on those pots.

Wish me luck!

If you have to reuse potting material, at least boil or microwave it to kill any insects or their eggs.

Somebody told me it was actually 'Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew'. Maybe. I think Dr. Doom is a better name, if you need that name I'll sell it to you for a quarter.

I used to have plants with damage similar to what Daniel shows. It didn't go away with the use of insectizides. It did eventually go away with repeated treats of akarizides. The link below has a lot of info on orchid pests. Look at the pictures and decide what is most likely the problem with your plants.

http://www.hark-orchideen.de/Pflanzenschutz/uebersicht.php?lang=en&navID=99

Thanks, Carsten. Hark just built a facility in a nearby city, and it will be interesting to see their impact on the orchid community in this area. It looks like, from this link, they are quite competent.

Back