What is this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
I see this long black slug-like creature occasionally in my garden, hiding among dead leaves and in the soil. I think its a nematode of some sort. Any idea if it causes root damage and how to get rid of it? Thanks.
IMG_5713.jpg

that is awesome, looks like a caecilian, a type of amphibian, but I don't know. if so it's a great find and will not harm any plants only insects, worms, and small fish

they range in size from smaller species and juveniles being under 10cm to the a south american species that can reach ~2 meters in length.

that is awesome, looks like a caecilian, a type of amphibian, but I don't know. if so it's a great find and will not harm any plants only insects, worms, and small fish

All the caecilians I've run across were totally aquatic. But I've seen some dinky legless lizards before. The are often very shiny but not slimy. I can't tell from this picture if the shininess of this critter is from slime or just very smooth scales.

For a soil nematode that one is huge. Yikes!!!

Could it be a big terrestrial leech?

When it moves is the length constant or does it contract and stretch?

Back