warming a basement growing area?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
so i grow in the winter under lights in a cold basement and it's too cold for some things
do any of you groovy folks have an inventive, low cost solutions?
do i just need to buy a heater?
i was thinking of maybe a closed loop system with an aquarium heater or the like, but i have absolutely no knowledge or experience with anything like it
thanks

One time I put copper tubing under shelf and hooked aquarium pump/water heater and enclosed. If I had more permanent area could use small regular water heater, pump and copper or pex tubing. Could also let warm water flow openly under shelf catch on other end and pump, water not touching pot bottoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about something like this, draped in plastic to keep in heat and humidity:
BA3P2-BA3P4.jpg
(from http://indoorgardensupplies.com/?product_cat=plant_stands but I think Firstrays has a similar product.)

You can use Cnycharles' fishtank heater/pump idea to keep the heat at night when the lights are off. You would need to fit some small PC fans to circulate the air.

How low cost, paaaaawtuckit? A good King electric heater is a good investment for around $250.00 depending on comparing prices. You can
hang it, mount it or set it on the floor. It does a good job of circulating
air as well as warmth. In addition, the two I have are ten years old and
still doing well.

I just got myself a reptile heating mat on eBay to bottom heat some of my flasks, comes with a dial to control temp., very cost effective compared to seedling heat mats. Less than $9 shipped for 28 x 65 cm (35 watt)

I grow in unfinished basement, temps around 15C. Plants are in enclosed glass tanks with T5 HO lights.
Lights bring temps to 19C-20C in the large tank and to 22C in the small tank.
At night, when lights are off - large tank temps drop down to 18C, small - to 20C. My seedlings and most of phals live in small tank and like it.

Buy a heater.
In the end it will be cheaper.

If you want to devise a closed water heating system you have to consider:
How many square feet of bench or shelf do you have?
How many degrees do you want to raise the temperature?

Using an aquarium heater on an area bigger than an aquarium may not work very well. using several aquarium heaters will probably consume more energy than an air heater if you have air circulation in the basement.

Mat heaters have the same problem as aquarium heaters, air circulation forced the mats to try to raise room temperature. The mats are intended to warm the media some degrees above air temperature.
Also inexpensive heating mats that have a thermostat are a risk because if the "cheap" thermostat fails and leaves the mat on it may cook the media.

I used a waterbed heater mat once with clay tiles and water to capture the heat but when there wasn't enough water the temp fuse blew and it was junked

There are small ceramic disc space heaters that you could use for an enclosed space on a cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I partitioned a small area in my basement (roughly 8x5') and then installed a laundry tub with shelves on surrounding walls with a tiny standing area (2x3') in middle. 2 and 4ft lights hang from the ceiling and another set under the upper shelf.

Heat from the lights takes care of air temp. Sliding louver doors are closed during the day. I have my fan, lights and water on timers. I open the door at night to drop temps from high70s to low 60s.

Water temp is an issue but I solved that with a fish tank heater (about $25).

Eden Pure has a nice heater that I've been using during
very cold spells as back-up for my day/night heaters. It's not
cheap, but is very dependable and rolls around nicely for
placing where you need the warmth the most.

I have an 8 x 5 grow area in my basement ..the walls are lined with half inch R matte 3 plus foam sheeting..the plants are on graters with the graters immersed in two inches of water (plants are above the water line). I use a 1000 watt halide that warms up the room to 77 during lights on. The temp falls to 58-62 with the basement in the forties at night.

Latest posts

Back