vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pouch on that one, congrats. From the photo it appears that it does not have glossy leaves, is that not diagnostic for this species? Or perhaps it is just the photo does not show it?

Yes, i have a feeling, so. HCM x viet back cross.....Viet has hear shape staminode and green...petals are a bit lumpy...View attachment 46107
not saying it to be provocative. I have heard, probably here, that there are a lot of these backcrossed plants. The leaves just don’t look quite right; the ones I have killed had much more compact growth and the flowers, never this delenstii-ish form. I would like Leslie or someone vastly more educated to rule. He seems to accept it as vietnamense though? My Ho Chi Minh is in high spike again and my recollection is that vietnamense is a late summer bloomer; again, tell me I’m just wrong. Also, no idea why this response is in italics.

not saying it to be provocative. I have heard, probably here, that there are a lot of these backcrossed plants. The leaves just don’t look quite right; the ones I have killed had much more compact growth and the flowers, never this delenstii-ish form. I would like Leslie or someone vastly more educated to rule. He seems to accept it as vietnamense though? My Ho Chi Minh is in high spike again and my recollection is that vietnamense is a late summer bloomer; again, tell me I’m just wrong. Also, no idea why this response is in italics.
I have a Vietnamese that should be open in a few more days...I'll post it for comparative purposes.

Looking closely at the present staminode, it does not fully conform to vietnamense. And before it be labeled as a hybrid back-cross, and also due to the hiccup last year, we should see next year’s bloom to fully determine its true ID.

PS for the record, the leaves look glossy, dark green mottle network and wavy like the true vietnamense.

Back