Varigated hang

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baodai

Reaction score
Just curious to know, if varigated carry on if self cross?
Thanks,
BD

Attachments

• varigated.JPG
    varigated.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 153
According to Koopowitz, variegation is carried by the pod parent, so presumably if you selfed it you might get a few with the trait. Good luck!! it would be worth the wait!

-Tim

I think this is a freak occurrence for this plant. Does it occur on the lower leaves too? Minor damage at the leaf axil can cause this streaking to occur on one leaf.

-Ernie

I agree with Eric & Ernie. There is only 1 leaf that exhibits this streak, it happened for a reason we'll probably never know & over time it could revert to solid green, as quite a few hostas do.

Since I don't know a lot about this feature, I have to agree with all the above posts.
I have seen this happened to other orchids as well ( affected by environmental or nutrition?) Some have darker streak (darker green, black, or redish). I have plants that the streaks only happened once.

If you raise it in optimum condition & no more leaves with this trait then it won't be a permanent feature.
I wonder if it is possible that this plant suddenly mutates? Hope some experts can clarify for us.
http://www.jacksbromeliads.com/variegationinbromeliads.htm

Sorry for being not clear. The previously bloomed has 2 varigated leaf. This division has 1 varigated leaf. I will try self cross, waitting game begin ....
BD

i wouldnt call that variagated. previous and possibly future leaves show no signs of it and it is only one tiny streak.. it could be brought on by some kind of culturual practices or something sprayed perhaps. Also I wouldnt chance selfing a hangi because of the slight varieagation, because the results will be unknown and they are soooooo slow to start with. I cant even imagine growing a selfing of a hangi.

Latest posts

Back