UVC sterilizer for water

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a product ‘Kleen Grow’ which is the same type of product apparently. It is part of a program used by an arboretum. I bought it for surfaces. I can use a little of that in my water. But it actually says it has residual disease control on hard surfaces for 30 days, so maybe I’ll just clean my buckets and can with it.
I was spraying my stainless sink and spigot, etc. with it after repotting. It’s a quarternary aluminum product. The chrome on the spigot was starting to pit, but other than that plastic and stainless surfaces were not harmed.
www.pace49.com/kleengrow/

First of all is this a UVC (clarifier) or a UV steriliser? The two are different and the UVS should have a much smaller maximum distance between the lamp and the furthest distance water can travel from it. A UVC will not kill most bacteria but is strong enough to disrupt algae running through it.

Do you run the UV constantly on a loop or just run the water through it once when collecting or using the water? If you think you need it I would be running it recirculating for a few hours at least before watering to eliminate most of the bacteria in the water. Make sure the physical filter is upstream of the UV so the water is very clear before hitting the UV.
Thank for comment. Yes, i use a 2 step filter, 60 um and 20 um before uvc unit.It works at 253,7 nm and kills all organism, bacterias and algees too. I run it 1 our per day in looping system, recirculating the water content of the tank. Just before waterings i take out 50 l water into a smaller tank and i clear this small amout of water in further 30 min. Result is crystal clear water without any smell. I looked after the peroxide acid, said to be very corrosive, i m not enough brave to try.

Ray, I am very grateful for all the careful work you have done to innovate and further the growth of orchids.
Careful, schmareful. I'm just a curious nerd, but thanks.

I have a product ‘Kleen Grow’ which is the same type of product apparently. It is part of a program used by an arboretum. I bought it for surfaces. I can use a little of that in my water. But it actually says it has residual disease control on hard surfaces for 30 days, so maybe I’ll just clean my buckets and can with it.
I was spraying my stainless sink and spigot, etc. with it after repotting. It’s a quarternary aluminum product. The chrome on the spigot was starting to pit, but other than that plastic and stainless surfaces were not harmed.
www.pace49.com/kleengrow/
Deborah, that stuff is more like Physan than ZeroTol.

Thank for comment. Yes, i use a 2 step filter, 60 um and 20 um before uvc unit.It works at 253,7 nm and kills all organism, bacterias and algees too. I run it 1 our per day in looping system, recirculating the water content of the tank. Just before waterings i take out 50 l water into a smaller tank and i clear this small amout of water in further 30 min. Result is crystal clear water without any smell. I looked after the peroxide acid, said to be very corrosive, i m not enough brave to try.
You are a high volume setup. I think the Zerotol makes sense to control organism growth in RO water stored short terms in containers of modest/moderate size. I never need more than 4 gallons (15 L) per day for my setup so it is easy to dump a little Zerotol into a small number of gallon-sized containers. I think your setup may be great for the volumes you are working with.

Latest posts

Back