Two spotted red bulldogs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aos judging in a nutshell:
Does it fill a circle with flat flower parts?
Is its color clean, with a minimum of bleeding from one color to the next?
Is it large?
Is it floriferous?
Does it have a long, strong stem?
Remember that aos judging is based on judging corsages 70 years ago, and, while you may have different ideas about what makes an awardable flower, the aos tries to be consistent with its historical framework.

Based on these criteria, #2 does not fill a circle with flat parts and has a weak stem. #1 has washed out, indistinct color. Both are lovely flowers, and each has significant positive merits, but neither is awardable on the photographed flowerings.

As a breeder when I look at them, and compare the two: I love the stance and shape of the petals of the first one better than the second one, the petals on the first one seem to be a little more flat compared to the second one, but I prefer the colors of the petals of the second one. The dorsal is nice and wide on the first one, but I do not like that it is a little cup shaped; overal the second one has a more pleasing dorsal (love the shape and the spots). I do not care for the pouch on the first one, both the color is not very saturated, and I do not care for the shape as much, the second one has a much nicer pouch. And last the second one has a very nice large ventral sepal, on the first one it looks smaller and more cup shaped. All in all they are both winners and if I had them I would cross the two together to hopefully combine the good traits of both!

Robert

As a breeder when I look at them, and compare the two: I love the stance and shape of the petals of the first one better than the second one, the petals on the first one seem to be a little more flat compared to the second one, but I prefer the colors of the petals of the second one. The dorsal is nice and wide on the first one, but I do not like that it is a little cup shaped; overal the second one has a more pleasing dorsal (love the shape and the spots). I do not care for the pouch on the first one, both the color is not very saturated, and I do not care for the shape as much, the second one has a much nicer pouch. And last the second one has a very nice large ventral sepal, on the first one it looks smaller and more cup shaped. All in all they are both winners and if I had them I would cross the two together to hopefully combine the good traits of both!

Robert

Ha! I just cut off the pollinated pod! I crossed these a week ago but then after considering my limited bench space and comments I decided to wait for the next blooms. Bummer! :)

Latest posts

Back